Health and Safety

On-Campus Resources


Smart Travel Enrollment Prgoram (STEP)

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service from the U.S. Department of State to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their time abroad with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, the U.S. Embassy will know how to reach you in the event of an emergency (natural disaster, civil unrest, etc.) and could assist if an evacuation becomes necessary. STEP is also a resource for family to reach you in the event of an emergency, in case communications are interrupted. Additionally, you will receive important informational emails from the Embassy about safety conditions in your host country. We strongly recommend that every student registers themselves with STEP prior to departure.


In an Emergency

Depending on the nature of the emergency, immediately contact the proper authorities in order of importance:

  1. In-country emergency medical, police, or consular services
  2. In-country program management staff. This can include your host institution's emergency contact or faculty leader.
  3. SJSU International Student & Scholar Services office. Depending on the type of emergency, ISSS may or may not be able to assist from the US. If it is an emergency requiring absolutely essential immediate contact with an ISSS staff member outside of ISSS hours, contact the University Police Department.
  4. Your family and friends to keep them updated on the situation when necessary.


Health News

Information about Zika Virus

(Posted 02.12.2016)

San Jose State University's Departments of Global Education and Initiatives and International Student & Scholar Services, recognize that the news regarding the spread of the Zika virus may be at the forefront of discussion for SJSU students and parents preparing to study outside of the United States. We would like to assure you all that we are closely monitoring and following new developments in regards to the spread of the Zika virus.

As each student is aware of their own personal health history and may have specific concerns regarding the destination where they will be traveling, we encourage each individual to seek advice on Zika from qualified health personnel, or from national or international reputable health agencies such as the CDC, WHO, etc.

Below are additional Resources about the Zika virus:

Student Health Center - SJSU

Santa Clara County Public Health Department

Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

CDC Advice on Preventative Measures and Zika

CDC: Zika Virus Information

CDC: Information on Zika and Pregnancy

World Health Organization (WHO)

WHO: Zika Factsheet