Is there financial aid for Summer Session?

Effective July 2017, the federal government implemented the Year-Round Pell Grant program. This means Pell Grant funds can be used to cover a portion of the cost of summer courses. To take advantage of this, you must be eligible during the current academic year for the Pell Grant and take a minimum of six units. These can all be taken in one summer session or you can take three units in each session. If you have questions on whether you are eligible to use the Pell Grant in the summer or if it is the right financial decision for you go meet with a drop-in financial aid counselor.

Can I register online if I want to take a graduate level/200-level course?

No, you will need to complete the Registration Form and submit it to the Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE) counter, window G in the Student Services Center or fax to 408.924.2477 for approval.

Is there any discounts or fee waivers for Summer Session?

No, Summer Session is a self-support program. No discounts or fee waivers are available.

How to drop a course?

Visit the How to Drop section, for more information.

How to pay?

Visit the Payment section, for more information about how to pday.

How to register?

Visit the Registration section, for more information on how to register. Most students should be able to register online through MySJSU; however, if you are unable to register online, you can register using the Registration Form.

How to register for a course with a prerequisite as an Open University/Non-SJSU student?

If you received a permission number from the ​instructor or ​department​​, you may use that number to register for the class online at MySJSU. If you have completed the test prerequisite at another university, you will need to complete the paper Registration Form, attach a proof of meeting the requirement, and send the form and document to the Office of Registrar.

If you are unable to complete the registration online. You will need to complete the paper Registration Form ​with instructor's signature or permission number and send the completed form to the Office of Registrar.

Please contact grad-undergrad-programs@sjsu.edu or thalia.anagnos@sjsu.edu if you have a MATH test prerequisite that was completed at another and university and need approval to register.

How to register for Summer Session if I'm an incoming Freshman for the Fall?

You will need to register using the the paper Registration Form and will be registering as an Open University student for the Summer Session.

How to register to retake a class during Summer Session?

​Check the calendar for the date. Students who are repeating classes will have a later registration date and should use the paper Registration Form.

How to view enrollment appointment in your MySJSU account?

See the Tutorials for Students on MySJSU for instruction.

What is an SJSU ID number?

An SJSU ID number is assigned to all students. Use it to access registration and grades as well as other functions and on forms as identified. If you have forgotten your log in or password, click on MySJSU Help on one.sjsu.edu or email ithelpdesk@sjsu.edu

What is Summer Session?

Summer Session is a self-support intersection offered between the Spring and Fall semesters, including degree credit courses and some short courses. Enrollment is not limited to full-time and part-time SJSU students. Any adult member of the community is eligible to enroll.

Who is considered an Open University student?

Students who are not currently attending SJSU are considered Open University students and can take SJSU classes through Open University.

Who may attend?

Classes are open to college and university students, high school graduates and other adults from the community. You do not have to be accepted to San José State University to attend this session.

Admission to the University?

Enrollment in this session does not assure admission to San José State University. If you plan to work toward a degree or credential at San José State University, or wish to continue in attendance either full-time or part-time during the spring, summer or fall semesters, you must apply for admission. If you are interested in formal admission, contact the Admissions Office at 408.283.7500.