How to Drop?
Complete the drop process either by dropping online by the drop deadline on mySJSU account or filing a Petition for Course Drop and returning the complete form to Academic Advising and Retention Service. Refer to the Summer Calendar to identify which drop method, what signatures are required and whether an academic withdrawal penalty applies. Leaving a course without authorization will result in a WU (F) grade.
For more information see instructions on the Petition for Course Drop.
Student Services Center (SSC)
Academic Advising & Retention Services (AARS)
First floor of 10th Street Garage, cross St. is San Fernando
Mon.-Thu. 8:15 am - 4:45 pm
Fri. 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Closed weekends and holidays
Phone operator hours:
Petition for Course Drop Instruction
You can using the following forms to drop your class(es) if you are unable to drop online at mySJSU. Be sure to use the latest form available on the Academic Advising & Retention Services website.
- Petition for Course Drop: Use this petition to drop one course during the current semester or retroactively
- Petition for Withdrawal: Use this petition to drop ALL of your courses during the current semester or a past semester.
NOTE: Although this petition displays the current semester's date, it should also be used for course drops from previous semesters. Your petition will not be processed if you are not using the current form. Please check www.sjsu.edu/aars/forms/ to be certain that you are using the most recent version of this petition. Course Drops may be approved under several categories. These are based on (1) the date when this petition is submitted, and (2) the reason(s) for the request. Petitions may be submitted in person to Academic Advising and Retention Services, Student Services Center, or by fax (408-924-2526).
There are three time periods relating to when this petition is submitted:
- After the Drop Deadline and prior to this date: First 5-Week Session 5:00 p.m. on Thursday July 3, 2014 Second 5-Week and 10-Week Sessions 5:00 p.m. on Friday August 8, 2014
- N/A for the Summer Sessions
- Any time after the last day of the term (formerly known as retroactive course drop)
There are two very broad categories of allowable reasons (extenuating circumstances) for dropping a course:
- WA = Serious and compelling reasons (but reasons over which there might have been an opportunity to anticipate and drop the course prior to the Drop Deadline)
- WB = Serious and compelling reasons that are clearly beyond your control.
In accordance with University Policy S09-7 (beginning Fall 2009), there will be two types of approved withdrawals, designated WA and WB on the transcript. All students are limited to 18 units of WA (APPROVED withdrawals) on their SJSU transcripts. There is no such unit limit on the WB (APPROVED WITHDRAWALS BEYOND the student’s control). Both WA and WB will show as W on the transcript.
Generally, all acceptable extenuating circumstances fall into one of the following eight categories:
- Administrative error
- Military (orders from CO)
- Natural disaster
- Death of immediate family member(s)
- Personal health or serious family illness
- Personal/other (rarely approved)
The following are not valid reasons for dropping courses: Poor academic performance, non-attendance, change of major, or lack of prerequisite(s).
- Categories A and B – Students are advised to continue class attendance until approval is received.
- Category C, WB – An additional statement with documentation is required to explain why the petition could not have been submitted during the term.
NOTE: ALL DOCUMENTATION IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION!