GE Area A2 Written Communication
Your first written communication course at SJSU (GE area A2) is determined by your enrollment category and the Reflection on College Writing. This online self-assessment will allow you to explore your options and choose the course that is best for you. Since you decide which course to take, there is no need “to” appeal your enrollment category.
GE Area B4 Math/Quantitative Reasoning (QR)
Your first math/QR course at SJSU (GE area B4) is determined by your math enrollment category and your intended major. If you feel that you are prepared to succeed in a more advanced course than those allowed by your enrollment category, you may appeal by completing the Petition to Appeal your Math Enrollment Category, linked below. Only Math Enrollment Categories III and IV can appeal. The deadline to submit your appeal is Monday, July 22, 2019.
You can view the Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning (GE Area B4) Course Options Explorer for your first-year math/QR course options.
If you want to appeal your math enrollment category, follow the steps below:
- Complete and submit the Petition to Appeal your Math Enrollment Category by Monday, July 22, 2019. You will receive a confirmation email after submitting the form.
- After receiving the confirmation email, contact the Testing Office via email email@example.com to request the ALEKS PPL License. Please allow 1-2 business days for an email response with instructions.
- After receiving ALEKS PPL information from the Testing Office, purchase your $20 ALEKS PPL License according to the instructions in the response email.
- Take the unproctored initial assessment at home.
- Study in a practice module after the initial assessment.
- Schedule a proctored ALEKS PPL assessment by emailing the Testing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 1-2 business days for an email response.
- Take the proctored ALEKS PPL at the SJSU Testing Office no later than Friday, August 9, 2019 (remember to bring appropriate photo ID).
- Scores will be forwarded to the Supported Instruction Office (This may take up to 2 business days)
- The Supported Instruction Office will contact you about the appeal decision.
- If you earn an appropriate score on the exam and your appeal is approved, the Supported Instruction Office will work with Academic Advising and Retention Services to adjust your course schedule appropriately. This process may take up to 2 weeks. (Please wait for an email response from Supported Instruction.)
For further information or questions regarding this process, contact email@example.com.