Tips for Quitting
Your Quitting To-Do List
- Set a quit day: Today!
- List reasons to quit.
- Talk to a supportive quit buddy.
- Practice self-compassion and care.
- Seek counseling and medical support.
- Keep healthy snacks handy. Try: carrots, celery, pretzel sticks.
- Chew on a straw, cinnamon stick, toothpick or gum.
- Practice daily rest and movement.
- Remove trigger cues like ashtrays and lighters.
Remember the Five Ds
- Drink water: Stay hydrated.
- Deep breath: Take five deep breaths.
- Delay: The urge will pass in minutes.
- Distract: Go for a walk, chew gum, listen to music, rest or go online.
- Discuss: Call a friend for support or call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) for free.