Frequently Asked Questions

General Account Information

How can I find out how much I have in my account?

Call Tina Buan (4-1494), Cindy Nimrud (4-1779), or Lani Rasmussen (4-1161). We can give you a balance over the phone.

We need to change the signer or add a new signer on our account. What do I do?

Please complete an account authorization form [PDF] and send it to Tower Foundation (extended zip 0183).

Can we hire employees through our account?

You can hire student assistants, and faculty and staff members if you have a discretionary account (i.e., your account number begins with 023, 034 or 038). You will need to complete an appointment form for the new hire [PDF], and the employee will need to complete new hire paperwork (including a W-4 [PDF], application, I-9 form, etc.). Please contact Tower Human Resources at 4-1127 to get the hiring process started.

I didn't receive my reports. How do I get copies?

Call My Tran (4-1129) to get copies of your reports.

Can I get a report showing all the activity in my account for a certain period (year-to-date, quarterly, fiscal or calendar year)?

Yes, please call My Tran (4-1129), Cindy Nimrud (4-1776) or Tina Buan (4-1494).

Back to top

Accounts Payable and Checks

I want to attend a banquet benefiting another college/department on campus. Can I pay for this out of my Tower account? Will I have to pay the 5 percent administrative fee?

Yes, you can pay this out of your discretionary account. You'll need to complete a requisition form [PDF]. Check the "reclassifications" box and give us information about the transfer in the "description" area. Fundraising events which are budgeted at over $5,000 of revenue must be approved in advance per CSU policy. Please contact Leslie Rohn at 4-1508 with questions.

A vendor has asked for Tower Foundation's W-9 form. How can I get one?

Please contact Christina Tan-Aoyagi (4-1329) and she can provide a W-9 form [PDF].

I've lost my expense reimbursement check or a vendor didn't receive a check for an invoice. How can I get a replacement check?

Contact Cindy Nimrud (4-1779) or Tina Buan (4-1494) and they will void the check and issue a replacement check.

I just submitted a requisition. How long will it take to get my check?

In most cases we can provide a check three or four days after we receive your requisition.

What kind of documentation do I need to provide for expense reimbursement? Do I need to provide original receipts?

You will need to provide an original invoice and/or original detailed receipt plus a credit card receipt, copy of a credit card statement, or cancelled check as proof of payment. We make exceptions to this rule if you have submitted your originals to the state and are requesting partial reimbursement from Tower. For meal reimbursement, please also provide a list of attendees.

I submitted a scholarship or award request a week ago, but the student still hasn't received the money. Why is it taking so long?

All scholarship and award payments must be verified with Admissions and Records (to ensure the student is carrying a full load in the current semester) and the student's tax status in the U.S. must be determined. Tower then issues a check to the Financial Aid and Scholarship office. Depending on the time of year and the number of requests, there may be a delay as Financial Aid considers the award in light of the student's total financial aid package.

Why do we have to submit original receipts and invoices?

As proof of payment and to avoid duplication of payment. In some cases, such as for airline tickets purchased online and for expenditures which are being partly covered by the state, Tower is able to accept duplicate receipts.

Back to top


We would like to hold a raffle to raise money. What do we need to do?

The Tower Foundation is authorized by the California Attorney General to hold charitable raffles. Please refer to our procedures for charitable raffles for the information we'll need from you and the answers to many common questions. If you have questions, please contact Tina Buan (4-1494).

Back to top

Employment and Payroll

How do I put someone on the Tower Foundation payroll?

For faculty members and other university employees, complete the Tower Foundation's university employee appointment form [PDF]. Faculty stipends and appointments must be reviewed by Faculty Affairs before payroll processing is complete. Non-faculty stipends and appointments must be reviewed by SJSU HR before payroll processing. University employees may not work more than a 25 percent overload from all auxiliary sources.

For all other "new hires," complete Tower Foundation's appointment form [PDF].

Newly hired employees must complete the I-9 form and other required documents.

How do I recruit for a position?

It is the policy of the Tower Foundation to recruit for all vacant and new positions unless the position is to be filled for less than four months. In some cases, recruitment may be waived under business necessity circumstances. Student assistants may be hired without recruitment, but please consult Tower Human Resources before discussing the hourly rate. Contact Tower Human Resources at (4-1127) for recruitment and advertisement.

Can I transfer an employee from the Research Foundation to the Tower Foundation?

Technically, there is no employee "transfer" policy between the Tower Foundation and Research Foundation, as we are separate legal entities. An employee currently working for the Research Foundation may be removed from its payroll and moved to the Tower Foundation payroll, but all new hire paperwork must be completed. Any service-connected benefits earned cannot be moved to the Tower Foundation.

Download the free Acrobat Reader to view PDF files. 

Back to top