Advising Resources


Assigned by the first letter of the student's last name.

A—M: Buddy Butler <>
N—Z: Amy Glazer <

A—C: Kimb Massey >
[On sabbatical Spring/Summer 2015. Please see Alison McKee for advising.] 
D—G: Babak Sarrafan 
H—M: Harry Mathias  
N—R: Alison McKee  
S—Z: Scott Sublett <>


Please bring the following information with you to EVERY advising appointment:

    • A complete set of all college transcripts (SJSU and any other). Unofficial copies are acceptable as are current reports from
    • Course descriptions (from college Web site or course syllabus) for any class you wish to substitute into your major/minor program
    • If you are bringing electronic copies of your records, make sure you can access them on your own computer or device and read them clearly to your advisor. Pull up your electronic files BEFORE your appointment in order to make the best use of your advising time.

Advising Forms

The following forms will help you become familiar with our programs and keep you on track to earning your degree.  Please download the appropriate forms and bring them with you to every advising appointment:



RTVF Advising Instructions (.pdf)

RTVF Courses and Their Descriptions (.pdf)

RTVF Major Form (.pdf)

RTVF Minor Form (.pdf)

RTVF Curriculum Flow-Chart (.pdf)

TA Courses and Their Descriptions (.pdf)

BA - Theatre Arts Major Form (.pdf)

BA - Theatre Arts Minor Form (.pdf)

TA Curriculum Flow-Chart (.pdf)

MA - Theatre Arts Graduate Form (.pdf)


Change of Major

If you would like to change your major to Radio-Television-Film or to Theatre Arts, just do it! We welcome incoming freshmen as well as transfer students from any major. Use one of the two following forms that apply to your situation:

Change of Major form (if you currently have less than 90 units)

Change of Major form (if you currently have 90 units or more)

Declaring a Minor in RTVF or TA

You don't have to "declare" a minor, per se, unless your major requires you to do so. If you would like to minor in Theatre Arts or Radio-Television-Film, see an advisor to plan what classes you will take (download the minor form above). Then, at the end of your time at SJSU, when you apply to graduate, you fill out your minor form and have your advisor sign it. You submit it along with your major form and graduation application—and that is it.

Are you a Transfer Student?

If you went to a community college, or transferred here from another four-year college, it is important to find out which courses “articulate.” Please read the TRANSFER STUDENT INFORMATION and instructions before you see an advisor.

 If you need to take units above the 16-unit limit

There are exceptions to the 16-unit cap rule. They are: 1) If you are a GRADUATING senior (i.e., you have already applied to graduate and taking units above the 16-unit cap will allow you to graduate a semester sooner; and 2) If you would like to take RTVF 121, 122 or TA 91, 112, 117 or 191, because these courses DO NOT count against the 16-unit maximum. Fill out a PETITION TO ADD UNITS ABOVE THE 16-UNIT MAXIMUM located on the bulletin board across from HGH 100.

If a course is full and you still need it to graduate (adding over enrollment cap)

This refers to the number of students limited in a specific section of a course.  Exceptions to ​the Enrollment Cap are strictly enforced and Approval to Add is restricted to students who: (1) have a graduation card and need the class to graduate this academic year or (2) have a transcript-demonstrated need for the class this semester to progress toward graduation. This is the APPROVAL TO ADD OVER THE ENROLLMENT CAP request form. Requests are not guaranteed, but it doesn't hurt to try. Make sure ALL of your paperwork is in order and that you've gotten all required signatures before submitting your request.

General Education (Core & SJSU Studies)

For information and a list of courses for Core lower-division General Education requirements and SJSU Studies upper-division GE requirements.

NOTE: Our programs offer several courses that will double-count for Major and GE requirements. They are:

  • In RTVF: Area C1=RTVF 10,   Area S=RTVF 110,   Area V=RTVF 111
  • In Theatre Arts: Area C1=TA 05 or TA 10,  Area C2=TA 13,  Area E=TA 48, Area V=TA 127

Graduation Forms (Applying to Graduate)

In addition to your completed Major or Minor form, you will need other paperwork for graduation application:

Graduation Application Forms From the Registrar's Office 

Credit by Examination

There are instances in which a student may receive credit by exam (or test out) of some lower division courses (e.g., RTVF 20, 21, 30, 31, 80, 82, and/or TA 11, 51, 64, etc.) because of prior professional experience, certification, or other type of education.

This is not automatic! It must be approved by the instructor of the course. Please follow instructions and deadlines carefully!


    1. Enroll in the class in which you wish to receive credit by exam.

    2. Consult the instructor of the course to receive preliminary approval no later than the first class meeting.

    3. If you qualify to test out of the class, the instructor must administer the exam before the second full week of instruction. The exam must be graded no later than the third week of the semester.

    4. If you pass the exam, you (and the instructor) must submit a Credit by Exam petition (link) to the Registrar’s Office (the form is interactive—you can type on this form). You must stay enrolled in the class, but attendance is optional. Your transcript will show a “credit by exam” notation. It is your responsibility to complete the paperwork by the SJSU deadline.

    5. If you fail the exam, you may choose to attend the class or drop it. If you choose to drop, it is your responsibility to complete the drop process.


Radio TV Film (RTVF)

  • PLO#1: Become media literate: Know the history, processes and current structure of the electronic media, its ethical parameters, and the social and political effects of electronic and mass communication (radio, television, film, new media) on an audience.
  • PLO#2: Tell meaningful stories through production of good narratives in radio, television, and film. Appreciate the art and aesthetics of media.
  • PLO#3: Communicate information and entertainment to diverse cultures using radio, television and film. Be sensitive to the ways and processes of, and the attitudes held by races, religions, political and social groups that are not their own.
  • PLO#4: Understand how to plan, produce, write and direct radio, television and film/cinema projects. Achieve professional-level skills of production. Select and operate video/television, film, and audio/radio technologies.
  • PLO#5: Determine what type of information is needed for a research question, problem, or issue, and be able to retrieve, evaluate and effectively use such information to produce scholarship and production in radio, television, film and new media.

Theatre Arts (TA)

  • PLO#1: Demonstrate a literacy of language of stage and/or screen; know how to analyze a script, understand the historical and contemporary structure of a script, and the social and political effects of a performance on an audience.
  • PLO#2: Demonstrate an ability to tell meaningful stories through performance; correlate performance to production; Demonstrate acting skills and development of a character.
  • PLO3: Communicate information and entertainment   to diverse cultures using stage and/or screen; demonstrate sensitive to the processes of and the attitudes held by races, religions, political and social groups that are not their own.
  • PLO#4: Demonstrate how to plan, perform, produce, write and direct for stage and screen; demonstrate professional-level skills of production; design for and operate contemporary technologies.
  • PLO#5: Demonstrate what type of information is needed for a research question, problem, or issue, and be able to retrieve, evaluate and effectively use such information to produce quality scholarship.