Advising Resources


Please bring the following information with you to EVERY advising appointment:

  • A complete set of all college transcripts (SJSU and any other). Unofficial copies are acceptable as are current reports from
  • Course descriptions (from college Web site or course syllabus) for any class you wish to substitute into your major/minor program
  • If you are bringing electronic copies of your records, make sure you can access them on your own computer or device and read them clearly to your advisor. Pull up your electronic files BEFORE your appointment in order to make the best use of your advising time.

THEATRE ARTS Advisors are assigned by the first letter of the student's last name.
A—M assigned to Buddy Butler <>
N—Z assigned to: Amy Glazer <

RTVF Advisors are assigned by the first letter of the student's last name.
A—C assigned to: Kimb Massey < >
D—G assigned to: Babak Sarrafan < >
H—M assigned to: Harry Mathias  < >
N—R assigned to: Alison McKee >
S—Z assigned to: Scott Sublett < >


The following forms will help you become familiar with our programs and keep you on track to earning your degree.


If you would like to change your major to Radio-Television-Film or to Theatre Arts, just do it! We welcome incoming freshmen as well as transfer students from any major. Use one of the two following forms that apply to your situation:

Change of Major form (if you currently have less than 90 units)

Change of Major form (if you currently have 90 units or more)


Please download the appropriate forms and bring them with you to every advising appointment:



RTVF Advising Instructions (.pdf)

RTVF Courses and Their Descriptions (.pdf)

RTVF Major Form (.pdf)

RTVF Minor Form (.pdf)

RTVF Curriculum Flow-Chart (.pdf)





BA - Theatre Arts Major Form (.pdf)

BA - Theatre Arts Minor Form (.pdf)

MA - Theatre Arts Graduate Form (.pdf)



There are exceptions to the 16-unit cap rule. They are: 1) If you are a GRADUATING senior (i.e., you have already applied to graduate and taking units above the 16-unit cap will allow you to graduate a semester sooner; and 2) If you would like to take RTVF 121, 122 or TA 112, 117 or 191 because these courses DO NOT count against the 16-unit maximum. Fill out a PETITION TO ADD UNITS ABOVE THE 16-UNIT MAXIMUM. The Registrar's Office also has their version of this form PETITION FOR EXCESS UNITS.

IF A COURSE IS FULL AND YOU NEED IT TO GRADUATE: Exceeding Enrollment Cap (or Course Cap):

This refers to the academic capacity of a course and means specifically the number of students limited in a specific section of a course.  Exceptions to ​the Enrollment Cap are strictly enforced and Approval to Add is restricted to students who: (1) have a graduation card and need the class to graduate this academic year or (2) have a transcript-demonstrated need for the class this semester to progress toward graduation. This is the APPROVAL TO ADD OVER THE ENROLLMENT CAP request form. Requests are not guaranteed, but it doesn't hurt to try. Make sure ALL of your paperwork is in order and that you've gotten all required signatures before submitting your request.


For information and a list of courses for Core General Education requirements and upper-division GE (now called SJSU Studies, visit:

NOTE: Our programs offer several courses that will double-count (major and GE requirements). They are:

In RTVF: Area C1=RTVF 10,   Area S=RTVF 110,   Area V=RTVF 111

In Theatre Arts: Area C1=TA 05 or TA 10,   Area C2=TA 13,   Area E=TA 48


In addition to your completed Major or Minor form, you will need other paperwork for graduation application:

Graduation Application Forms From the Registrar's Office 

Credit by Examination

There are instances in which a student may receive credit by exam (or test out) of lower division courses (e.g., RTVF 10, 20, 21, 30, 31, 80, 82, and/or TA 5, 10, 11, etc.) because of prior professional experience, certification, or other type of education.

This is not automatic! It must be approved by the instructor of the course. Please follow instructions and deadlines carefully!


  1. Enroll in the class in which you wish to receive credit by exam.
  2. Consult the instructor of the course to receive preliminary approval no later than the first class meeting.
  3. If you qualify to test out of the class, the instructor must administer the exam before the second full week of instruction. The exam must be graded no later than the third week of the semester.
  4. If you pass the exam, you (and the instructor) must submit a Credit by Exam petition (link) to the Registrar’s Office (the form is interactive—you can type on this form). You must stay enrolled in the class, but attendance is optional. Your transcript will show a “credit by exam” notation. It is your responsibility to complete the paperwork by the SJSU deadline.
  5. If you fail the exam, you may choose to attend the class or drop it. If you choose to drop, it is your responsibility to complete the drop process.