Changing Degree Information

Minor Changes to Existing Degree Majors, Concentrations, and Minors

Changes to existing degree programs, concentrations, or minors require submission of an Academic Major/Minor Program Form. Changes may include one or more of the following: course additions or deletions, unit changes, course number changes, or addition, deletion, or changes to preparation for and/or support for the major. Changes in requirements require review and approval as follows: chair or director, college dean, and appropriate AVP. If the AVP believes the change is major, especially if new resources are involved, the AVP may refer to the UGS or GS&R Committee for review.

Changing Degree Designation or Name

Changing a BA to BS, or a similar change in degree category, is considered a new degree for the campus and must follow procedures for new degrees (revised Nov 2014), including prior Chancellor's Office approval before the new designation can be publicized. Condensation of a BA into an existing BS or vice-versa requires official discontinuation of one degree but is otherwise an “Academic Major/Minor Curriculum Change.”

Changing the name of an existing degree or concentration may be permitted so long as the new name conforms to the existing CSU-assigned HEGIS and/or CIP code for the degree. Some names (e.g., architecture) are restricted. A name change should be requested on an Academic Major/Minor Program Form, along with a memo outlining the reasons for name change and must be approved through the campus curricular approval process through the Curriculum & Research Committee.

Department Name Change

Changes to department or school name require review and approval as follows (per Senate policy S07-1): chair or director, college curriculum committee, college dean, UGS or GS&R Committee, Curriculum & Research Committee and Provost. The requested change has to be approved by December 20 for inclusion in the following Fall semester catalog. The Department Organization change form must be completed as well in order to change the Organization Tree structure in CMS. See Guidelines and Checklist for forms that must be submitted.