In an atmosphere of social justice, equity, and sensitivity to issues of diversity, the Department of Kinesiology seeks to:
- Assist in fulfilling the mission of San Jose State University
- Prepare exemplary professionals in the field of Kinesiology
- Promote and provide for physically active lifestyles for all
- Promote and provide for the academic study of human movement, physical activity, and sport
Additionally, the department will:
- Provide a high quality educational experience for our students
- Instill respect for lifelong learning and critical thinking
- Prepare students for life and society
- Offer a broad based and contemporary selection of activity, general education, undergraduate, and graduate courses
- Promote and provide for scholarship and professional activity
- Facilitate and promote community interaction
Department Statement of Core Values
The faculty and staff of the Department of Kinesiology adopt the following Core Values in support of our overall mission:
- Physically active and healthy lifestyles
- Efficacy of human movement
- Quality programs, curriculum, teaching, research, and service
- Regard for high academic standards
- Mutual support, shared responsibility and collegiality in the workplace
- Collaboration between and respect for our subdisciplines
- Democratic governance
- Equity, fairness, and social justice
- Sensitivity to diversity
- Life/work balance
Student Learning Outcomes
Learning outcomes for the Kinesiology B.A. and the Athletic Training B.A. are the same and are on the Kinesiology Department Website
Assessment of Student Learning BA
- Spring 2013 (doc)
- Spring 2012 (from Faculty Retreat) (ppt)
- Spring 2011 (doc)
- Spring 2010 (.doc)
- Spring 2009 (doc)
- Spring 2008 (doc)
- Fall 2007 (doc)
- Spring 2007 (doc)
Student Learning Outcomes M.A.
Students will be able to:
- Conduct and critique research using theoretical and applied knowledge.
- Interpret and apply research findings to a variety of disciplines within Kinesiology.
- Effectively communicate essential theories, scientific applications, and ethical considerations in Kinesiology.
- Acquire skills to become agents of change to address issues in Kinesiology through the application of knowledge and research.
Assessment of Student Learning MA
Though not degree programs, the Kinesiology Department also maintains an Activity Program through which students meet their graduation requirement and courses through which students can meet both core and advanced General Education requirements.