The Department of Geology provides educational opportunities for the diverse community of SJSU students through (I) general education courses, (2) K-12 teacher training and professional development, (3) a rigorous, integrated curriculum for majors pursuing Bachelor's degrees, and (4) graduate courses and research.
Courses in the major cover the broad field of geology in order to prepare students for work toward advanced degrees or employment in the profession. The M.S. program offers specialized courses and research culminating in a thesis, and prepares students for research in Ph.D. programs and for professional positions in the private and public sectors. In order to fulfill this mission, faculty members develop their expertise in diverse aspects of the evolving field of Earth Sciences while providing students with comprehensive training in the entire discipline.
Undergraduate Programs in Geology (BS Geology, BA Earth Science)
- Develop the skill to read and accurately interpret topographic maps.
- Use, formulate, and test multiple working hypotheses to address scientific problems.
- Effectively communicate scientific ideas and results, both verbally and in writing.
- Use the fundamentals of chemistry, physics, math, and computer science to solve geologic problems.
- Classify and identify geologic materials, including soils, minerals, and rock.
- Visualize and comprehend geologic structures and process in 4 dimensions (3D plus time).
- Understand the interactions of the solid earth with the hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere, and the effects of those interactions on human kind and the environment.
MS Degree in Geology
- Demonstrate scientific writing of acceptable quality.
- Formulate scientifically sound and logistically reasonable plans for solving geologic problems.
- Demonstrate ability to present results of scientific research in oral format.
- Develop ability to apply modern laboratory and field investigation techniques to solve sophisticated geological problems.
- Develop skills and knowledge to make use of scientific data and resources to support investigations.
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Fall 2013 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Fall 2010 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Spring 2010 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Spring 2009 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Spring 2008 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Fall 2007 (doc)
Geology B.A., B.S. Program Spring 2007 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Fall 2013 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Fall 2010 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Spring 2010 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Spring 2009 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Spring 2008 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Fall 2007 (doc)
Geology M.S. Program Spring 2007 (doc)
Program Planning Documents
this page last updated 09/24/13