Student Petitions Form

The following requests may be made by following the appropriate instructions on the proper forms at the end of this section. Make sure to file a separate petition for each request. If none of the categories applies, consult with a Graduation Evaluator in the Office of the Registrar (if you have applied for Graduation), or an Academic Advisor in Academic Advising and Retention Services, on the appropriate way to submit your request.

General Education & Graduation Requirements

To substitute, waive, or re-evaluate GE or graduation requirements; make exceptions; request earlier GE patterns. Select from specific categories listed below.
American Institutions (pdf)** INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Completion or partial completion of American Institutions requirements at other colleges.
CORE GE Equivalent Course (pdf)** INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Courses in any CORE GE Area completed OUTSIDE the California Community College(CCC) or CSU system, or for CCC or CSU courses articulated to more than one GE Area.
Intensive Science Plan (CORE Area B) (pdf) **INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: More advanced college science courses taken in preparation of other majors.
Modifications of Requirements Based on Disability (pdf) Conditions: Verified disability that interferes with ability to complete traditional requirements. See Accessible Education Center.
Open University Excess Credits (pdf) **INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Extenuating circumstances to justify granting more than 24 Open University units for baccalaureate or residence credit to allow graduation.
Physical Education (pdf) **INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Extenuating circumstances that prevent completion of requirement. See Kinesiology Department for challenge procedure.
Return to Earlier GE Pattern (pdf) **INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Completion of all of GE requirements prior to leaving SJSU, or extenuating circumstances beyond student's control that caused break in enrollment.
Written Communication II (100W) Requirement (pdf)**INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Completion of upper division composition course or demonstration of exceptional writing ability.

University Requirements and Credits 

back to top
Graduate/Undergraduate Units Completed (pdf) Conditions: Completion of units during SJSU graduate standing now needed for second baccalaureate degree.
Non-Matriculated, Open University Students Taking Advanced GE Courses for Non-GE Credit (pdf**INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Only for undergraduate, Open University, and J-1 Visas students who are not matriculated at SJSU and do not plan to matriculate.
Petition for Additional Baccalaureate Credit for International OR Equivalent College Credit (pdf) Conditions: This petition is used to request unit credit for course work taken at an accredited college/university abroad or in the U.S., not granted upon admission.
Petition to enroll in SJSU Studies (Area R, S, V & Z) Courses with Fewer than 60 units (pdf)** INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: This petition is ONLY necessary for Lower Division (LD) students, who have passed the Writing Skills Test (WST), seeking to enroll in SJSU Studies (Area R, S, V, and Z) requiring Upper Division (UD) standing as a prerequisite. Even if a petition is approved, advance registration will not be possible for SJSU Studies courses.

Retroactive Academic Request Categories

back to top
Students wanting to make requests that apply to past semesters, must follow these instructions.
Please note that no changes may be made to academic records after graduation.
Academic Renewal(pdf) (Formerly: Disregard of Previous Semester's Work) Conditions: If you are a graduating senior with a grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 in your major, minor, SJSU, or overall college coursework, you may request that all grades earned in a previous semester be disregarded, so that you may graduate. Read instructions on form carefully to see if you qualify.
Back-date of Degree (pdf) **INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: All degree requirements completed, but administrative errors prevented degree from being granted.
Opt-out of Grade Forgiveness (pdf)**INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: There are a limited number of Grade Forgiveness units available to students according toUniversity Policy F08-2. Grade Forgiveness is awarded automatically when a student is eligible. Grade Forgiveness will always improve a student's GPA so long as the second attempt at a particular course earns a higher grade than the first attempt. There are very few conceivable situations in which a student would not wish to take advantage of Grade Forgiveness. This petition is for those students who feel they will benefit from opting out of Grade Forgiveness. Form should be submitted by the course add deadline for full consideration.
Retroactive Grade Forgiveness (pdf) (Formerly Retroactive Academic Renewal prior to Fall 2009)**INTERACTIVE FORM Conditions: Replacement of a C- or lower grade with a better grade obtained when course was repeated . Read instructions on form carefully to see if you qualify.

Other Petitions

back to top

Spring 2016 Petition for Course Drop [pdf]

Conditions: Use this petition to drop one course during the current semester or retroactively. Please use a separate petition for each course you wish to drop. If you wish to drop all your classes, use the withdrawal petition below. Return the following three petitions to Academic Advising & Retention Services.

Spring 2016 Petition for Withdrawal (from ALL courses) [pdf]  

Conditions: Use this petition to drop ALL of your courses during the current semester or a past semester. Please use a separate petition for each semester of courses you wish to drop. If you wish to drop one class only, use the course drop petition above. Return the following three petitions to Academic Advising & Retention Services.

Spring 2016 Excess Units Petition [pdf]  

Conditions: Graduating Seniors who filled for graduation through the Registrar's Office on or before Monday, November 3, 2014 will be eligible to register for up to 18 units without a petition. Graduating seniors desiring to take up to 21 units can petition as of Wednesday, January 7, 2015. Other exceptions: Students may petition for up to 18 units towards degree or participation in languages, groups, or ensemble-based courses starting Wednesday, January 7, 2015.

All Request and enrolled classes must be required for the declared degree, or be related to languages, groups, or ensemble-based courses such as debate teams, theater performances, and other auditioned classes. If granted, approvals are only for the exact number of required additional units to add the requested classes. Submit this form before the Add deadline. Return the following three petitions to Academic Advising & Retention Services.

Petition to Appeal a PD 2009-05 Decision

This petition is solely to appeal decisions made under the Implementation Guidelines for the Presidential Directive 2009‐05 ( STUDENT must submit completed petition to the Undergraduate Studies Office, Administration 159.

Re-Admission Petition as a Former Student Returning (FSR) to SJSU for Undergraduates(pdf)

This petition applies only to those former SJSU students who were previously enrolled as fully admitted and matriculated students. Students who have only enrolled in Open University are not eligible. Completion of this petition MAY result in a higher admission priority to your desired major degree program. 

Reinstatement Petition. (pdf)

Reinstatement is a process that allows a student who has been disqualified at SJSU to become eligible for readmission at SJSU.