Life and Disability Insurance
The CSU offers employer-paid basic term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment
(AD&D) insurance to eligible employees.
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Faculty (Unit 3) and Confidential: $50,000 basic term life/$50,000 AD&D policy
- Management Personnel Plan (MPP): $100,000 basic term life/$100,000 AD&D policy
- Executive: $250,000 basic term life/$250,000 AD&D policy
- CSUEU (Units 2, 5, 7 and 9), Public Safety (Unit 8), Core ELP Instructors (CSULA only): $10,000 basic life/$10,000 AD&D policy
- Academic Professionals (Unit 4) and Physicians (Unit 1): $25,000 basic term life/$25,000 AD&D policy
- Teaching Associates (Unit 11): $50,000 basic term life policy
The insurance is underwritten by Standard Insurance Company:
- CSU pays the entire premium.
- First $50,000 is tax-free.
- MPP employees and Executives who do not want the additional tax liability may irrevocably waive the extra insurance for the remainder of their CSU employment.
- Life insurance over $50,000 will have income tax impact on employee based on amount over $50,000 and employee's age. See the Revised Group Term Life Insurance Imputed Income Table (.pdf)
- Coverage is portable upon separation or retirement (effective January 1, 2017).
Voluntary Employee-Paid Life Insurance
The CSU offers employee-paid voluntary life insurance through the Standard Life Insurance Company to all eligible employees. Employees may purchase protection for themselves and eligible family members including spouse/domestic partner and dependent children:
- Employee coverage range: $10,000-$1,500,000
- Spouse or domestic partner coverage range: $10,000-$750,000
- Coverage for children: $5,000, $10,000 and $20,000 (all your children must be insured for the same amount)
New employees qualify for Guarantee Issue coverage if coverage is applied for within 60 days of start of employment. Under the Guarantee Issue provision, employees may apply (without answering medical questions) for coverage up to:
- $150,000 for themselves
- $50,000 for their spouses/domestic partners
- $20,000 for each child (without answering medical questions)
Amounts in excess of the Guarantee Issue, up to the maximum limits, may be chosen
and require evidence of insurability.
Life Services Toolkit
As part of The Standard Group Life Insurance policy (includes CSU-paid and Employee-paid),
CSU employees will have access to the Life Service Toolkit that includes Digital Identity Archive, Online Estate Planning, Funeral Planning
& Concierge Services, and Travel Assistance.
For more information go to The Standard - My Benefits or contact The Standard customer service at 1-800-378-5745.
To apply, make changes, or review benefits log in at The Standard - Benefits Enrollment.
Voluntary Employee-Paid Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation and Change Form (.pdf) (requires SJSUOne/CSU login)
Life Services toolkit 2017(.pdf) (requires SJSUOne/CSU login)