The Catastrophic Leave Donation Program (CLDP) allows for the donation and receipt of vacation and sick leave credits between eligible SJSU employees, regardless of bargaining unit.
A catastrophic Illness or injury is one that has completely incapacitated the employee/immediate family member from work. A chronic condition for an employee
illness may also be considered catastrophic, even if the condition results in only
intermittent absences. A condition, which is short term in nature, such as a cold,
flu, or minor injury, is generally not deemed catastrophic. The campus must make a
case-by case determination.
- Be eligible to accrue vacations and/or sick leave.
- Exhaust all allowed paid leave credits before eligible to receive donated leave.
- Apply for Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI) if absent for employee illness.
- Be on an approved leave of absence under FML, NDI, or ADA.
- Provide a medical certification, including an estimated return-to-work date to the Leave Program Manager.
- Complete a CLDP Participation Request
Once all of the employee's leave credits have been exhausted, they may request participation
in the CLDP program for up to three (3) months. The Leave Program Manager will review
your participation request to determine approval. In exceptional circumstances, influenced
by the severity of the illness or injury, the employee may provide a written request
for an additional three (3) months participation. The maximum participation in the
CLDP program is six (6) months.
Use the following form to request participation in CLDP.
- Catastrophic Leave Donation Program Participation Request (PDF): Used to apply for catastrophic leave benefits.