Eligibility to Work


Staff and Management Positions

In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of employment eligibility and identification are required at the time of hire.

  • San José State University is not a sponsoring agent for staff positions and may only hire individuals who are legally able to work in the United States.
  • Within three days from the date of hire, candidates must provide proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility or authorization to work in the United States.

See Employment Eligibility Verification for additional information.

Tenured & Tenure-Track Faculty Employment Based Visas

University Personnel-Faculty Affairs can assist with the H-1B and Permanent Resident Status – EB-2 (Green Card) application process for candidates who have accepted full-time, tenure-track faculty positions.

  • SJSU does not sponsor non-tenure track (temporary) faculty for the H1-B Visa or EB-2 Permanent Residency.
  • University Personnel-Faculty Affairs does not provide legal advice.
  • No person can be guaranteed approval of immigration status or change in status.
  • Contact the University Personnel-Faculty Affairs at 408-924-6670 for assistance with the H-1B or EB-2 process.

See Employment Eligibility Verification for additional information.

Note: San José State University does not participate in E-Verify, therefore the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension does not provide work authorization for employment at SJSU.


Apply Today!