Sabbaticals & Difference in Pay Leaves
Quickly jump to the Sabbatical or Difference in Pay sections:
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Sabbatical Calendar 2019-2020 (.pdf)
- Application for Sabbatical Leave (.pdf)
- Confidential Agreement for Professional Leave/Sabbatical/DIP (.pdf)
- Difference in Pay Leave Calendar is in revision
- Difference in Pay Application is in revision
Sabbatical Leaves are intended to benefit the University by affording faculty employees time to take advantage of professional development opportunities such as conducting research, engaging in scholarly and creative activities, improving instruction, or obtaining faculty retraining.
- A full-time faculty unit employee is eligible for a sabbatical leave so long as s/he has worked full-time at this campus for six (6) of the seven (7) years preceding the leave, and at least six (6) years after any previous sabbatical or difference in pay leave. Credit granted toward the completion of the probationary period for service elsewhere applies towards fulfilling the eligibility requirement.
- A faculty unit employee on sabbatical leave may not accept outside employment without prior approval from the President. Written requests for approval to accept outside employment should be submitted via the University Personnel.
- Once the sabbatical leave has been completed, the employee must return service to the University at the rate of one term of service for each term of leave taken. Prior to final approval, applicants for sabbatical leave are required to file a statement of assets or a promissory note with the University Personnel guaranteeing the University against loss should the employee fail to return after the sabbatical leave.
- Within six (6) weeks after returning to service at San José State University, the faculty member must submit a written report, via the dean, to Faculty Affairs. Faculty members are also encouraged to present the results of the sabbatical leave at departmental, college or university forums.
- A faculty member who accepts a sabbatical for a full year at half-pay should be aware that his or her contribution to and credit in the CalPERS system is in proportion to the reduced salary earned while on leave. To receive full retirement credit, one may choose to reimburse the State to the level of a normal retirement contribution. Contact Human Resources for information regarding how to purchase full retirement credit at the conclusion of the full academic year Sabbatical leave.
The Difference in Pay Leave Calendar is in revision.
|As Soon As Possible||
|Within Three (3) Weeks of Submission||
|Within Seven (7) Days of Receiving Departmental Committee Recommendation||
|Within Seven (7) Days of Receiving Departmental Chair's Statement of Impact||
|Within Two (2) Weeks of Receiving the Application, Including Any Responses Received, and Departmental Recommendations||
|Within Seven (7) Days of Receiving the Dean's Recommendation||
|Within Two (2) Weeks of Receiving Complete Application Including Any Responses Received from University Personnel||