For admissions information, please select from one of the following three programs:
Information about financial aid and scholarships is available here.
Application Deadlines To Begin Your Studies in Spring 2020.....
- For Domestic Students: November 1, 2019.
- For International Students October 1, 2019.
Application Deadlines To Begin Your Studies in Fall 2020.....
- For Domestic Students: May 1, 2020.
- For International Students April 1, 2020.
- TAKE TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS. Please review the helpful "Steps to Graduate Admission" guide as a starting point.
- COMPLETE THE CSU APPLICATION FORM. When you are ready to apply, fill out the Cal State Apply on-line application form by the deadlines listed above. The Master of Urban Planning (MUP) program at SJSU
is listed within the online application under "Urban Planning". Payment of the CSU
Application Fee of $55 is required.
- SUBMIT THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION. In "Quadrant 4" of Cal State Apply is where you submit three original and signed Letters of Recommendation that come from either university instructors
who taught you or supervisors who managed you in paid or volunteer work. It is highly
recommended that at least one letter come from a university instructor. If this is
not possible, ask your letter writers to include an evaluation of your writing and
analysis skills. Make sure to follow the detailed instructions. Letters of recommendation
can also be sent directly to the department Graduate Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org although
using Cal State Apply is highly recmomended.
- SUBMIT A WELL-WRITTEN STATEMENT OF PURPOSE. In "Quadrant 4" of Cal State Apply is where you will submit a Statement of Purpose
(approximately 1.5 single-spaced typed pages) that indicates how a Master of Urban
Planning degree will help you to achieve your career objectives and what motivates
you to pursue a graduate degree in urban planning. Important: a well-written, clearly structured, spell-checked, grammar-checked and carefully
proofread Statement of Purpose will make a favorable impression on our Admissions
Committee members who read them very carefully.
(if needed) SUBMIT GRADUATE RECORD EXAMINATION (GRE) SCORES. These are required for applicants with a GPA below 3.0. Original scores from the ETS testing office are to be submitted directly to SJSU (the code for SJSU is 4687).
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the Graduate Advisor.
The Department of Urban and Regional Planning offers study leading to the undergraduate Minor in Urban Studies. This professionally oriented program is designed to:
Familiarize students with the social, economic, political, and physical aspects of the major urban issues of our time; and
Introduce students to the basic professional skills and strategies used to improve the urban environment.
If you are interested in applying for the undergraduate minor in urban studies, please complete the Minor in Urban Studies form [.pdf] and contact the department's Graduate Advisor to schedule an appointment.
If you are interested in completing one of our certificate programs, please contact the Graduate Advisor. For questions pertaining to the Certificate in Real Estate Development, please contact Prof. Shishir Mathur.
SJSU graduate and undergraduate students may apply for federal financial aid. For eligibility criteria and guidance on how to apply, see the SJSU Financial Aid and Scholarships Office (FASO).
FASO also provides information about identifying scholarship, both on campus and external to SJSU.