College Fee Waiver Program
California offers a College Fee Waiver Program (CalVet) to children and dependents of service-connected disabled or service-related deceased veterans. This program is administered by the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA).
This fee waiver applies only at California State Universities, University of California campuses and California Community Colleges. Benefits are awarded on an "academic year" basis and students are required to reapply each year for continued benefits.
- Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled); or
- Have a spouse who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.
- Be a child earning less than $11,702 in 2011 (student's income, not parents'). Note:
there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C veterans.
Note: there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C veterans.
- Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
- Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate.
If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements and or need assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office or call CDVA at (916) 653-2573.
- Download the College Fee Waiver Program application.
- Submit the form to your local County Veterans Service Office .
- If you are eligible, an Authorization Letter will be mailed to you. Photocopy your Authorization Letter and email to: email@example.com or bring the copy to the Military and Veteran Services Office-ADM 265.
Important note: the CalVet fee waiver is awarded for one academic year. Students must reapply each year for continued benefits. To avoid a disruption in the benefit, is is strongly suggested that students reapply every April so the benefit is in place when registering for Fall classes.
What fees are waived by the CalVet benefit?
The CalVet benefit will only waive the Mandatory State University Fee. Students are responsible for paying the SJSU campus fees, parking permits, course fees, books and other optional services.
The following fee information is from the Bursar's Office, effective Fall 2014:
|Undergraduate 1.0 - 6.0 units||$1587.00|
|Undergraduate 6.1 or more units||$2736.00|
|Teacher Credential 1.0 - 6.0 units||$1842.00|
|Teacher Credential 6.1 or more units||$3174.00|
|Postbac/Graduate 1.0 - 6.0 units||$1953.00|
|Postbac/Graduate 6.1 or more units||$3369.00|
|Student Association Fee||$86.00|
|Student Union Fee||$335.00|
|Success, Excellence and Technology Fee||$375.00|
|Mandatory Health Fee||$138.00|
What semester or terms are covered by the CalVet Fee Waiver?
The CalVet Fee Waiver will waive the Mandatory State University Fees for the Fall semester, Spring semester, and Summer term.
The following enrollment periods do not qualify for the CalVet Fee Waiver:
- Winter session (January)
- ANY special session
- Open University