Call for Proposals
Propose a Seminar, Workshop,
Research Project, or Resource Project
We'll help you develop and do your project. And pay you $500 to $1,000.
Do you have an idea for teaching writing that other writing instructors might like to know about? Are there some things about your students' writing, or writing in your discipline, you'd like to research? Is there a resource you'd like to develop?
We can help.
The Writing Across the Curriculum program will work with you to develop and do a project. Possible projects include, but are not limited to:
- A four- or five-part seminar for 100W and other writing instructors.
- A one-day workshop for 100W and other writing instructors.
- A research project that will help us improve the teaching of writing at SJSU.
- A resource project that will help 100W and other writing instrutors.
- Anything else that will help us support and improve the teaching of writing at SJSU.
Faculty members who propose, develop, and deliver seminars, workshops, or projects will be eligible for stipends up to $1,000. Faculty members who attend your seminars will be eligible for stipends of $500, all paid for by the Writing Across the Curriculum program
Please consider the following questions in your proposal:
- Title of Your Proposed Project
- What kind of project is this? Seminar, workshop, research project, resource project, or other?
- Details about your project. What will you do? If you are proposing a four- or five-week seminar, or a one-day workshop, what will you do during your meetings? If you are proposing a research or resource project, what will research and how?
- Why do you want to address this topic(s)? What brought it to the top of your list?
- In what ways will this project benefit our writing programs on campus? In other words, what will be the impacts of the project on a particular 100W program (like Business Writing or Engineering Reports), or 100W programs in general?
- If you are proposing a seminar or workshop, how many faculty members do you think will be interested in participating? How did you come up with that number?
Proposals are due November 15, 2017.
Seminars and workshops will be offered during the Spring 2018 semester. Research and resource projects must be completed during the Spring 2018 semester.
Recently Funded Projects
WAC Seminars and Workshops:
Annotated Bibliography: Teaching Students to Work with Professional Academic Sources (F17)
What We Talk About When We Talk About Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum (F17)
Beginning and Advanced eCampus Resources for Writing Instructors (F17)
Developing Guides to Writing In Your Discipline (F17)
Working with Multilingual Writers (S17)
eCampus Resources for Writing Instructors (S17)
Ethnographic Writing (S17)
Responding to Student Writing (F16)
The Grammar of Necessity: Generative Grammar Lessons Through the Experimental Essay (F16)
Seminar for 100W Instructors (S16)
Seminar for 100WB Instructors (S16)
Business Students Writing on The Job: What They Wished They Learned at SJSU (S17)
Common Grammar and Usage Errors: Spanish -- English (F17)
Please contact Tom Moriarty at firstname.lastname@example.org.