Upcoming Cooking Classes:
(Student Wellness Center 122)
9/12 @ 1:30pm & 4pm
9/15 @ 1pm:
Meal in a Mug- Vegetarian Lasagna
9/26 @ 1:00pm & 3pm
9/29 @ 2pm:
BBQ Mushroom Sliders
10/17 @ 1pm & 3pm
10/20 @ 2pm
11/14 @ 1:30pm & 4pm
Meet the RD
(Note: RD services will be unavailable for Fall '17 and will resume Jan'18)
Cassie Barmore, MS, RD is a registered dietitian who offers practical and sensible nutrition advice. Cassie's realistic approach helps make healthy & balanced eating possible. Through her years of nutrition education, she has developed a passion for helping others build self esteem and a healthy relationship with food. She specializes in the prevention or management of nutrition related diseases, as well as the treatment of eating disorders. Cassie is committed to delivering health education through an evidence-informed, weight-neutral, social justice lens and to promote positive and inclusive messages.
Common Reasons Why People Meet with a Registered Dietitian:
- Medical diagnosis with nutrition related management: diabetes, low blood sugar, high blood pressure, and/or high cholesterol
- Food and body image concerns
- Disordered eating/eating disorders
- Weight concerns (interest in losing or gaining weight)
- Digestive problems like food allergies, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, irritable bowel, and/or colitis
- Vegetarian or vegan diet advice
- Family history of nutrition-related disease
- Recent appetite changes
- Vitamin or mineral deficiency related to diet
- Sports performance (athletes)
- Healthy eating strategies
SJSU students can schedule one-on-one consultations with Cassie through the Student Health Center. To set up an appointment, call the Student Health Center Appointment Line at (408) 924-6122.
CHEW (Cooking Healthy, Eating Well):
Students can sign up for free cooking classes in our Student Wellness Center. Each cooking class teaches basic cooking skills utilizing affordable ingredients. All participants walk away with free food, useful knowledge, and a recipe they can try again at home. Check out our seasonal menu of classes for class descriptions and information on how to sign up. For additional info about the program, visit the CHEW page.
For great videos on preparing various types of produce, visit CookSmart's Produce Prep Guide!