Frequently asked questions pertinent to current students

1. How do I declare a major or minor in a world language?

The first step in declaring a major or minor in a world language is to speak with a language advisor who can be found here. An advisor will give you the necessary paperwork and a roadmap of required classes

2. How can I make sure my paperwork gets through?

To make sure that your forms are received and successfully processed and filed, take your forms to the appropriate office to get the required signatures.
The first signature/approval you need to get is from your major/minor advisor. (If you are declaring a major in Spanish, visit one of our Spanish advisors). Next, bring the declaration form and the required documentation (transcripts, major forms…) to get approval from the Department Chair. After your paperwork is processed by the Department of World Languages and Literatures, take it to the College of Humanities and the Arts (located in Washington Square Hall Room 120).

3. Can I take a world language class even though I am not majoring or minoring in a language?

Yes, you can take any foreign language class you like, provided you have the necessary skill level. If in doubt, you can take a placement test and consult an advisor. Students are able to waive the unit cap under certain circumstances. Please contact the department for more information on this.

4. Is a world language required for my major?

Language proficiency is required for both English and International Business majors. Please see your major advisor for details on any language requirements.

5. How do I change my world language minor into a major?

To change your minor to a major, you will follow the same steps that you took to declare the minor. Mark the box labeled “New Major Objective”.

6. Where can I find the schedule for the coming semester?

The schedule of classes can be found here.

7. How do I speak with an advisor?

A list of advisors can be found here or in our department office at Clark Hall 421. You can either drop into their office hours or email them to set up an appointment to meet.

8. Where can I find my professor’s office hours?

A list of faculty office hours can be found here or in our department office at Clark Hall 421.
Office hours can also be found on the class syllabus, canvas and faculty pages.

9. When and how am I getting my scholarship award money?

Scholarships recipients info are sent to the Financial Aid office. They will apply it to any outstanding university debts you have and they will reimburse or give you back whatever is left. If you haven’t received your scholarship award, check the Financial Aid office.

10. How many units and classes are required for a language minor? Do I still have to take the same number of classes even though I got some classes waived?

You can find general information for the program you are interested in by following the links on this page. Specific questions about your situation are best answered by the appropriate major or minor advisor. You can find advisors for every program here.
Here is some general information:
Core Minor is 12 units, normally:

  • 2 advanced language classes (reading, writing speaking)
  • 2 culture classes

11. Is there any tutoring available for the foreign languages?

There are currently official tutoring sessions available, though at times there are students or alumni who offer tutoring. Go to your instructor’s office hours or talk to him/her about recommending you a tutor.

12. Are there any World Language clubs and Honor Societies?

13. If you are a language major, are you required to study abroad?

No, but we encourage you to do so -- study abroad is a rewarding experience that will improve your language skills immensely and give you new insights into the world around you.