Lower-Division Preparation Courses:
- FREN 1A (5 units) Elementary French
- FREN 1B (5 units) Elementary French
- FREN 1X and 1Y Individualized (Equiv. 1A/1B)
- FREN 25A G.E. (3 units) Reading Proficiency
- FREN 25B G.E. (3 units) Writing Proficiency
- FREN 25C (3 units) Oral Proficiency
Upper-Division Required Courses:
(9 units Grammar, 3-9 units Culture)
- FREN 101A (3 units) Advanced French Reading & Writing*
- FREN 101B (doc) (3 units) Advanced French Reading & Writing*
- FREN 101C (3 units) Advanced French Oral Communication*
- FREN 102A (3 units) French Culture: Prehistory to the Revolution.*
- FREN 102B G.E. (3 units) Francophone Cultures through Literature and Cinema.
- FREN 102C (3 units) French Culture: From the Revolution to present.*
*Courses required for single subject credential
Eighteen (18) Units (6 courses) to be Selected from the Following:
- A. Minimum Two (2) Literature Courses (6 units) N.B.: Prerequisite: Completion of
French 101A and B.
FREN 120A (3 units) Literature of the Middle Ages & Renaissance
FREN 120B (3 units) Literature of 17th and 18th centuries
FREN 140A (doc) (3 units) Literature of 19th century
FREN 140B (3 units) Literature of 20th century
- B. Minimum Two (2) Linguistics Courses (6 units)
FREN 105 (3 units) French Phonology*
FREN 110 (3 units) French Morphology and Syntax*
FREN 132 (3 units) Business French
FREN 170 (3 units) Introduction to Translation
- C. Electives:
FREN l60 (3 units) Special Topics in French Studies
FREN 102A,B,C (3 units) Other than Fren102 taken among required courses (see above)
*Courses recommended for teacher preparation
- FL 100W Writing Workshop (3 units)
- 1 year of a second foreign language (10 units)
- Language majors are required to have a minor.
A minor in a second language is recommended, which will simultaneously satisfy the requirement of one year of a second language.
French B.A. Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- Language & Communication. Written Expression. Demonstrate advanced (ACTFL) skills in writing French.
- Language & Communication. Reading Comprehension. Demonstrate advanced (ACTFL) skills in reading French.
- Language & Communication. Oral Expression. Demonstrate advanced (ACTFL) skills in speaking French.
- Language & Communication. Listening Comprehension. Demonstrate advanced (ACTFL) skills in understanding French.
- Literacy: Use appropriate terminology in linguistic, cultural, or literary analysis.
- Cultural Analysis and Comparison: Analyze and compare a wide variety of texts drawing upon their cultural knowledge of France and the Francophone world.
- Literary and Cultural Texts and Traditions: Demonstrate knowledge of major periods, genres, authors, movements of French and Francophone cultural history.
- Demonstrate advanced ability to connect with other disciplines and language communities. Demonstrate advanced translation skills.
- Technology: Demonstrate information processing competency, use of appropriate technologies and tools for research, analysis, communication, and presentation.