About the Institute
San Jose State's Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change will be dedicated to research, analysis and education focused on developments at the intersection of sport and society.
Principal activities and interests will be substantially defined by the theoretical, methodological and applied research perspectives and traditions of the sociology of sport. The institute's goals include encouraging, creating and facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration in illuminating the substance, dynamics and significance of sport as a factor in social change. Possible areas of focus include:
- Racism and social justice
- Gender equity
- LGBT issues
- School to prison pipeline
- Global labor issues
- Head injuries and the concussion epidemic
- Addiction, gambling and performance-enhancing drugs
- Eating disorders
- Biomedical devices
- Diversity in management
- Organizational management and hiring practices
- Sport as a national identity
The institute's advisory board is comprised of athlete-activists, scholars and executives from SJSU, professional sports and the sports media.