The Writing Center is dedicated to assisting all faculty in their efforts to elicit the best writing from their students. If we are to achieve our goal of being able to assist all students in all disciplines, we must work closely with the instructors who know those students best. If you would like to use our services, or if you have any suggestions for resources beyond those available on our website, please contact us. We welcome your comments and suggestions.
We greatly appreciate the support of professors across campus in promoting the Writing Center to their students. However, we have limited resources and, unfortunately, we cannot support required use of our services. For more information, please read our statement about required services.
Refer to the list below for an overview of the resources that we offer San José State University faculty.
To inform your students about the Writing Center and the services that we offer, please use the following statement on your course syllabi:
"The SJSU Writing Center is located in Clark Hall, Suite 126. All Writing Specialists have gone through a rigorous hiring process, and they are well trained to assist all students at all levels within all disciplines to become better writers. In addition to one-on-one tutoring services, the Writing Center also offers workshops every semester on a variety of writing topics. To make an appointment or to refer to the numerous online resources offered through the Writing Center, visit the Writing Center website: www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter. For additional resources and updated information, follow the Writing Center on Twitter and become a fan of the SJSU Writing Center on Facebook."
House Calls and Workshops
Our Writing Specialists can visit your classroom and
- provide a 10-15 minute house call to discuss Writing Center services with your students.
- conduct a one-hour workshop (see workshop topics).
- assist in peer-review groups.
To request a house call or workshop for your class, please complete our request form. If you would like workshops or house calls for multiple classes, fill out one form per class.
Please review the following reminders before you request our services.
- We have a regular workshop schedule every semester, and our workshop topics cover different parts of the writing process. You can advertise our workshop schedule to your students if you don't want to use your class time for a special workshop.
- If you do request an in-class workshop, you must be present during the entire workshop session. Our in-class workshops are not a substitute teaching service! You will also be responsible for making copies of our workshop materials for your students.
- We will try to accommodate your date and time requests; however, we can usually only schedule workshops during our normal hours of operation.
- We recommend scheduling house calls early in the semester, and we do not generally schedule house calls or in-class workshops during the final weeks of a term.
We provide dozens of free handouts for download with information on topics such as style, grammar, punctuation, timed writing strategies, forms of writing in specific fields, commonly used citation styles (e.g., APA, MLA, Chicago), and specific writing projects (e.g., resumes, cover letters, personal narratives, annotated bibliographies). These handouts are all created by our student Writing Specialists.
You can tell your students about these online resources, or you can use them directly in your classroom.