Spring 2013 Tutoring Hours:
We are OPEN during final exams!
The Writing Center is located in Clark Hall, Suite 126.
Welcome to the SJSU Writing Center
The San José State University Writing Center is a unit of Student Academic Success Services (SASS). We offer a variety of resources to help students become better writers, from one-on-one tutoring sessions to our many writing workshops. All of our services are free for SJSU students.
Whether you're a science major creating an abstract, an engineering student drafting a design report, an art student writing a freshman composition, or a psychology major working on a case study, your writing will be judged by your instructors now and by your potential employers later. Learning to communicate your ideas clearly will greatly increase your chances of success at SJSU and beyond.
It's difficult enough being a college student, so why let a writing assignment add to your stress? We'll be your guides through the often bewildering world of words, and you'll emerge with better grades, more confidence, and the communication skills necessary to your success.
To learn more about our services, visit the "Quick Links" in the right-hand column. We look forward to seeing you!
Writing Center News
- Writing Center Associate Director, Michelle Hager, and Writing Specialists Andrew Tucker and Jessy Goodman will be presenting at the Northern California Writing Centers Association Conference in Sacramento on April 13, 2013. Their panel proposal “Running a Writing Center as a Business: Creating a Professional Tutoring Environment to Enhance Student Success" was recently accepted.
- If you'd like assistance with your resume, cover letter, or statement of purpose, visit Writing Center Faculty-in-Residence Marty Leach.
- If you're a faculty member at SJSU, consider attending the two-day faculty writing workshop funded by the AANAPISI grant. The next faculty writing workshop will be held in August-September 2013. If you'd like more information, please visit the AANAPISI website.
- In October 2011, the Writing Center conducted special workshops for 5th grade students from Horace Mann Elementary School. In the video above, those who were involved in the workshops talk about the experience.
- Writing Center Director, Dr. Linda Mitchell, wrote and published a textbook about writing and the invention process, The Glyfada Method.
- Writing Specialists Crystle Bruno, Jen Jebens, Peter Gambrill, and Fabio Coelho, along with Faculty-in-Residence Jan Hagemann, wrote and published a textbook for high school students, Commonsense Composition.
- For additional information about the Writing Center, please review our 2011-2012 Annual Report. If you'd like copies of previous annual reports, please contact us.