Make an Appointment
Writing Specialist Andrew Tucker and the "most committed tutee of the year," Dessy Santoso.
"It is always lovely to hear that students are accessing university resources. Nikki's writing has been greatly improved by her meetings with folks in your office. She is to be commended for dutifully making appointments for each and every writing assignment for this course. And you all are to be commended for helping to sculpt her writing so that it reflects the quality of her thinking."
--Dr. Brian Grossman, Assistant Professor of Public Health and Director, Gerontology Program
"Thank you so much for the time you take to send emails detailing the time you work with students. All of us appreciate this so much. Thanks for the hard work you do."
--Victoria Sansome, Lecturer, Language and Linguistics Department
All tutoring appointments are made through our Online Reservation System.
To make an appointment, you must be registered with our system. Because the Writing Center updated its software at the start of the spring 2011 semester, all previously registered tutees will need to re-register. To register for the first time or to re-register, just fill out the registration form. If you have any questions or need further instructions, visit our Appointment Help page. If you are having difficulty using our online appointment system, you can call us during our operating hours at (408) 924-2308.
Check the Online Reservation System frequently! Though our appointment slots fill quickly, we have a number of cancellations every day. If you keep checking our online scheduling system, you are more likely to get an appointment. If you sign up for an appointment, that time has been reserved for you. Our services are in very high demand, so keeping your appointment is extremely important to our business. If you must cancel an appointment, we would appreciate it if you could do so at least 24 hours prior to your appointment time.
By making an appointment, you acknowledge that you have read the following rules and agree to them.
The Writing Center Policies
As a client at the Writing Center, I agree to prepare for my tutoring appointment in the following ways:
- Prior to my session I will reread my assignment and draft so that I know what questions or concerns to address during the session.
- I will bring all materials to the session that the Writing Specialist and I may need: the essay itself (printed out on paper), the assignment/prompt sheet, the course syllabus, previous writing, relevant research and reading, and my professor's comments.
I understand that...
- If I am more than five minutes late, I will lose my appointment.
- If I do not have a printout of my assignment with me and ready on time, I will lose my appointment. Needing to print out my paper is not an acceptable excuse for being late.
- If I cannot make my scheduled appointment, I will cancel it before the appointment starts.
- If I miss two appointments without canceling them ahead of time, I will be limited to drop-in appointments only for the rest of the semester. (Drop-in appointments cannot be made in advance and may not always be available, especially during peak hours.)
- The Writing Center is not a proofreading or copy-editing service. The Writing Specialists will not write my papers for me or perform line-by-line editing. I must be present and prepared to learn.
- During my session I will think actively, compose new writing, and discuss my thoughts about my paper and my writing process.
- I will schedule my appointment in advance of the due date for my paper so that I have plenty of time to revise it after the session.
- As a courtesy to the Writing Specialists and other students, I will not disturb the learning atmosphere of the Writing Center by using a cell phone, bringing small children, or engaging in any disruptive behavior.
- If I am rude, disruptive, or disrespectful during my session, the Writing Specialist has the right to end the tutoring session at any time.
In return, we pledge to treat you, your questions, and your assignments with respect. We recognize that every student is unique and that every assignment is different. We pledge to make our best attempt to work with you to improve your writing.
For our full list of policies for the Writing Center (including tutoring, workshops, and general operations) please visit the Writing Center policies page.