Due to the County of Santa Clara Shelter in place order, the SSC is closed but our services are available online.



LIVE CHAT (Quick Question)             

Academic Advisors will be online to answer your quick question.

Monday-Thursday 10:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Fridays: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 



To meet with an Academic Advisor for drop-ins or appointments, use Spartan Connect our shared university wide appointment system.  

To better serve your advising needs, please select the location and service option that best addresses your question(s). 

Drop-ins available for quick questions (10-15 min sessions)

Appointments available for multiple questions (30 minutes) 



Undeclared and Undeclared Pre-Nursing students must select, Major Advising as the category of advising, select the respective undeclared advising and choose Academic Advising and Retention Services (Virtual) as the location. 


Example of appointment selections for undeclared and undeclared pre-nursing students


Virtual Advising (Drop-in & Appointments)


You can also reach us at academic.advising@sjsu.edu 


Other advising resources

Campus-Wide Advising Hub Website                                                                                    
The Advising Hub is meant to serve as a resource for all undergraduate students to aid in student success. As the name suggests, it's at the center of many advising and academic support services available at SJSU. This site can be used to locate and access the information and people you need to help you progress smoothly to your degree objective.


 Fall 2020

Academic Advising & Retention Services provides advising for General Education, Undeclared Students, Undeclared Pre-Nursing and those on probation or disqualified from the University. Transition advising is provided by this office through Frosh and Transfer Orientations.


When Is the Best Time to Make an Appointment?

  • Academic Advising & Retention Services is least busy during mid-semester - October for Fall semester and March for Spring semester. Take advantage of these months to seek GE advising!
  • Visit our Appointment vs. Drop In webpage to learn about the types of questions that can be asked in drop in advising, and which questions will require an appointment.



See academic changes for Spring 2020

COVID-19 policy changes