Why get an internship?
Internships are an important supplement to your undergraduate or graduate education. Not only do they provide valuable experience and practical knowledge in your field, they are also a strong inclusion on your resume to help you get your first job after graduation.
How To Get An Internship
Step 1: Prepare Your Resume and Apply
First, make sure your resume is up-to-date and professional. Feel free to use the Career Center's Resume Guide [pdf], or this Linkedin class on resume writing. You can also make an appointment with a Career Counselor to get personalized help! Drop-in meetings with counselors are available as well.
Then, you should apply for as many internships as possible using Handshake. Some Summer internships open as early as the Fall semester beforehand, so check back frequently!
Step 2: Prepare For Interviewing
It's important to ensure that you have interview-appropriate professional attire and practice your interviewing skills. These will be vital as you move further along in the application process! Check out this guide on how to prepare for and handle tricky interview questions.
For extra help, please refer to the Career Center's Webpage. The Career Center offers a wide variety of resources to assist students in this process.
Most internship opportunities will be posted on Handshake. Any other opportunities will be posted below.
- Anello Photonics website is under construction. Please contact Mario Paniccia at email@example.com for more information.
- NASA UI/UX Internship Opportunity
- Kitty Hawk Careers/Internships
- Lam Research [pdf]
- NASA Jet Propulsion Lab STEM Internships
- NASA Jet Propulsion Lab Internships/Careers
- Science and Technology Corp. Aerospace Engineer - Applied Aeronautics Research
- Summer 2021 REU at the University of Central Florida
- REACH Graduate Engineering Preview
The Department of Defense (DoD) has many STEM internship opportunities for students. DoD STEM internships allows college students the opportunity to engage in hands-on research and solve real-world problems at DoD laboratories and facilities. Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student, you are encouraged to explore the many opportunities available.
Are you looking for a dynamic opportunity in the fast-growing energy sector? Bloom Energy, a local solid oxide fuel cell company, has multiple opportunities available now for juniors, seniors, and graduate students. Opportunities are posted on SJSU Handshake! Click Bloom Energy Careers to apply or login to Handshake to learn more about job opportunities, upload your resume and directly apply!
Employers: If you would like to have an internship opportunity posted on this webpage, please send an email with the job posting link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Matthew Isakowitz Fellowship Program is an incredible summer experience for students passionate about commercial spaceflight!
- The Summer 2021 application is Closed
The Bay Area Graduate Pathways to STEM (GPS) is having a free 1-day conference hosted by Stanford and UC Berkeley. This is where students receive advice on preparing for the graduate school application process. Here students will have the opportunity to receive advice from current UC Berkeley and Stanford graduate students. If you are unsure if graduate school is right for you, or if you would like to attend graduate school but do not know how to develop a strong application, this conference will provide information that is useful to you.
- For more information visit Stanford Bay Area Graduate Pathways to STEM (GPS) website and for application information visit Bay Area Graduate Pathways to STEM Student Application 2021. Applications are Closed
- The Caltech WAVE Fellows Undergraduate Research Program provides support for undergraduate students, who are underrepresented in STEM and
intent on pursuing a Ph.D. Each student will conduct a 10-week summer research project
under the mentorship of a Caltech faculty member.
Applications are Closed
STEM Summer 2021 Research Opportunities
- Stanford Undergraduate Research Fellowship – Application Closed
- Stanford Material Science – Application Closed
- Stanford SSRP – Application Closed
- Leadership Alliance – Application Closed
- Amgen Scholars Program – Application due Feb 1, 2022
- Caltech SURF – Application Closed
Search Engines for REU Programs
To Be Announced