Writing Skills Test (WST)
AEC does administer the Writing Skills Test (WST) which may be required of all undergraduate and graduate students prior to enrollment in a 100W course.
The CSU requires that each campus establish a Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) for all upper division students. At SJSU, completion of 100W course with a passing grade satisfies the GWAR. However, a passing score on the WST is required of all undergraduate and graduate students prior to enrollment in 100W courses.
Please note SJSU Temporary WST Policy for Duration of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak.
Sample test questions are available at the Testing Office located in the Industrial Studies (IS) Building. The Peer Connections Center provides tutoring to prepare for the WST. To register, go to Peer Connections in Student Services Center (SSC) 600 or call (408) 924-2587.
- Students who wish to take the WST exam with accommodations, must be registered with the AEC. Please refer to “How to Register with AEC" regarding the process.
- Current AEC students will need to show proof of payment and registration for WST by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received an AEC counselor will review and put in place accommodations for the WST.
Deadlines for testing with accommodations differ from those set by the Testing Office.
DEADLINES FOR STUDENT WISHING TO TEST WITH AEC IS ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE SCHEDULED TEST DATE. For example if the test is schedule for February 2, 2018, students need to register with AEC for the test on or before January 2, 2018.
- For specific dates, deadlines, and other important information refer to the WST webpage.
- Students will need to register and pay for the WST prior their appointment with a AEC counselor. Students are required to bring proof of payment to the AEC appointment. WST registration information
- AEC will send a mySJSU message containing testing confirmation and information one week prior to the exam.
- Students receiving testing accommodation will test on the scheduled test date. The exam will be held at 8:30 am in the Industrial Studies Building (IS 223) unless otherwise arranged.
Fees & Payment
The WST costs $38. AEC students must pay for the WST before meeting with a AEC counselor. Payment is handled at Cashiering Services in the Student Service Center (SSC); online fee payment by credit card is now available at CASHNet. Students must provide a copy of their receipt to the AEC counselor to set up accommodations.
What to Expect on the Day of the WST
Students will receive an email AEC; it will specify the location and time of the WST. All students are required to bring pens, and a dictionary for the test; other accommodations must be approved by a AEC counselor. To avoid problems on the day of testing, all students must arrive on time and are expected to clarify accommodations or testing concerns with their AEC counselor prior to the exam date.
The 7th Street garage (on San Salvador) and 4th Street garage (on San Fernando) have available parking on Saturdays. The current cost for a day permit is $8.00.