Applying to the Program
UPDATE: APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JUNE 15 DUE TO DISRUPTIONS ASSOCIATED WITH COVID-19
The application process includes two steps.
- The first step requires you to submit an online University application using the Cal State Apply portal.
- The second step requires submission of an Anthropology Department application which will be accepted via email during the campus closure.
Step 1: The University Application
You will need to apply to the University to obtain approval for University-level admission. Minimum requirements for admission to San José State University are outlined in the Graduate Admissions section of the San José State University catalog. The application to the University is submitted electronically through CAL State Apply. The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required for admission to the University (CAL State Apply) or to the Anthropology Department.
Please note: The University-level graduate application is separate from the application you send to the department. Deadlines for the University Application can be found at the Graduate Admissions website. (Please note that only GAPE can receive official transcripts, the Anthropology Department is unable to forward transcripts to GAPE.)
Step 2: The Anthropology Department Application
You will also need to apply to the Anthropology Department to obtain approval for admission into the M.A. Program in Applied Anthropology.
Please submit the following materials to the Anthropology Department:
- A brief cover letter expressing interest in the M.A. Program in Applied Anthropology
- A current curriculum vita or resume
- Two signed letters of recommendation*
- A 2-3 page letter of intent that addresses: (1) how your background prepares you for our program; and (2) how our program fits into your career plans
- A sample of your academic writing (8 page minimum)
For full consideration, all of the above materials must be received before June 15, 2020.
UPDATE: DUE TO DISRUPTIONS AND MEASURES TAKEN TO CONTAIN THE SPREAD OF COVID-19, WE WILL ACCEPT MATERIALS FOR THE ANTHROPOLOGY DEPARTMENT APPLICATION VIA EMAIL:
A.J. Faas, Graduate Coordinator
*PLEASE ASK RECOMMENDATION LETTER WRITERS TO EMAIL THEIR LETTERS DIRECTLY.
Note: For applicants seeking readmission into the M.A. program in Applied Anthropology, we strongly recommend that the writing sample take the form of a detailed prospectus describing their projects or theses.
Note: We do not accept internal transfers into the M.A. program in Applied Anthropology from another M.A. program at SJSU. If you are currently a graduate student at SJSU and wish to enroll in Applied Anthropology, you will need to apply to the program through the two steps described above.