Ride Waze Carpool to SJSU
Why Waze Carpool?
It’s a fast, fun, affordable way to commute. While carpooling isn’t new, Waze Carpool is a fresh way to share the road and the cost of commuting. A cost-effective alternative to rideshare services, Carpool lets you choose to drive or ride with people already going your way. Use the Waze app to navigate and the Waze Carpool app to catch a ride.
Getting Started with Waze Carpool
Step 1: Visit goo.gle/SJSUcarpool
Step 2: Download Waze or Waze Carpool if prompted, register using your personal email but verify your @sjsu.edu email when prompted to find other students
Step 3: Joining the SJSU Carpool group
Step 4: Finish signing up
Step 5: Request your first carpool
We recommend all riders and drivers follow health and safety guidelines on travel provided by local authorities. The CDC and the Association for Commuter Transportation [pdf] have issued guidance on how to reduce risk on your commute.
For carpooling, they suggest limiting the number of people in your carpool to 2, wearing face coverings, and increasing ventilation in vehicles by keeping windows open. Additionally, we suggest riders and drivers message each other before carpools to agree on the precautions they will take and to ensure they both will feel safe.
Precautions Waze is suggesting:
- Limiting carpools to 1 rider and 1 driver
- Face coverings
- Opening windows
- Messaging before the ride
Frequently Asked Questions
How do payments work?
Payment is securely handled through the app, so you don’t need to deal with the awkwardness of a cash transaction. If multiple riders share a ride - depending on the route distance and how many riders are in each car - riders may have the opportunity to share costs.
What are you doing to ensure that Waze Carpool is a safe experience for riders & drivers?
- First, no blind matching--with Waze Carpool, you’re in control to choose the carpool option that’s best for you. Select the people you want to carpool with based on detailed profiles, gender, star ratings, and connections like the same workplace and mutual friends, as well as price and distance off route.
- All users must add a profile picture and connect via Facebook or Gmail, with an optional verification for work email addresses. When users connect to Facebook within the app, they can view their friends’ and mutual friends’ profiles.
- You can communicate with your rider or driver ahead of time via a veiled (hidden) phone number or text each other all within the app.
- You can look up where someone is getting picked up and dropped off in advance, giving you complete control over your ride and drive.
- We care deeply about our users’ experience with Waze Carpool and we have support agents available.
- We care a lot about driver safety, and we work hard to surface important information to drivers via Waze. This is why we developed alerts for going over the speed limit, added child reminders so parents don’t forget their kids are in the car, disabled the ability to type while driving, added voice command in order to use the app using just your voice, and much more. We believe that a driver who is aware of his/hers surroundings can make better decisions and hopefully drive more safely. We do not encourage speeding through our app in any way.
Waze Carpool Support
Waze Help Center:
Find Waze articles to answer your questions by using the Waze help center.
Talk to an Waze Agent:
For any other issues, use Facebook Messenger to chat live with Waze agents.