COVID-19 Carpool Safety Guidelines
If you find yourself without access to a personal vehicle, public transportation, or self-powered vehcile, carpooling is an affordable option to commute to campus. Here are some tips to keep you safe while carpooling during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Only ride when you are feeling well
- Stay home and contact your healthcare provider or the SJSU health center if you are feeling ill.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask while carpooling.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your upper sleeve or a tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Keep your carpool to no more than two occupants in a vehicle
- Please create as much physical distance as possible between yourself, other passengers, and the driver.
- Wash your hands thoroughly for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and water before and after water before and after riding. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Wipe down frequently touched surfaces in the vehicle with disinfectant that contains at least 60% alcohol after sharing a ride.
- If possible, keep the windows open when traveling to increase airflow.
- If using the ventilation system, use outside air instead of recirculated air.
- Read and practice CDC Guidelines for Rideshare to further protect yourself and others