Graduate Student Advising

At the beginning of every semester, a department advising hold is place on every student’s record. This hold prevents students from registering for the next semester’s classes without consultation and approval by the BME Graduate Advisor.

Graduate students are required to submit the appropriate advising form to the Graduate Coordinator each semester. In the advising form, the student summarizes their progress and indicate the classes they wish to enroll in for the subsequent semester. The Graduate Coordinator will review the proposed classes and may require changes. Upon approval of the advising form, the Graduate Coordinator will remove the advising hold on the student’s records, enabling the student to register for classes for the following semester.

Important Dates

  • The class schedules will be posted on MySJSU on April 27
  • Advanced registration begins on May 12


MS BME Advising Form [via Google Form]

For Spring 2021, the advising form should be submitted by Monday, April 5.
Students who don’t have a clear plan for the following semester, and students who have questions/issues they cannot resolve using the resources provided here, can meet with the Graduate Advisor on dedicated advising sessions held on Zoom and scheduled every Friday at 6:30PM (one-hour long) from February 19 through April 2. Below is a link to the Zoom meeting:

Graduate Advising meeting link [via Zoom]

SJSU authentication is required to log into the Zoom meeting.

Students who submit their advising form after the deadline of April 5 will be assisted after the end of the Spring semester (probably June or July). If you don’t want to wait until then to register for your classes, please make sure to submit your advising form before April 5.

Below you can find a list of documents that will help you choose and plan your courses:

BME Graduate student checklist

Guidelines, instructions and recommendations to make the best of our program and graduate without unnecessary delays are available in the following resources:

Essential forms

In addition to the advising form linked above, here is a list of essential forms that you will need to complete and submit as part of your path to graduation.

Change of classification form [pdf]. At the time of your admission, you may have been given a list of transition courses to complete. Until you have completed all of your transition courses with grade B or better, you have a “conditionally classified standing”. As soon as you complete your transition courses, you should submit a Change of Classification form to petition to move to “classified standing”. For each transition course, please indicate the semester the class was taken, the grade earned in the class, and the institution where the class was taken, if different than SJSU.

Candidacy form [pdf]. With this form, you stipulate an agreement with SJSU about your plan to complete all the requirements to earn your MS degree. That includes outlining all your core and electives courses, how you satisfied the Graduate English Writing Requirement, and whether you plan to do a project or thesis. Instructions on filling out the Candidacy Form can be found here. [pdf]

You can submit your candidacy form only when all you have satisfied all the prerequisites listed below:

  • You have completed all of your transition courses (if applicable)
  • You have submitted your change of classification form (if applicable)
  • You have satisfied your English Competency Requirement (GWAR)
  • You have completed at least 9 units of 200-level courses
  • Your GPA is 3.0 or better (i.e. you are not on probation)
    You should submit your candidacy form at least two semesters before you expect to graduate and before you enroll in BME 291.

Other important forms


Course substitution forms

After you have filed your candidacy form, you have locked in all the courses you need to complete to earn your MS degree. Any deviation from the plan outlined in your candidacy form must be notified to the BME Graduate Advisor (who in turn will notify GAPE) via either one of the forms linked below:


Request for Reduced Course Load

F-1 and J-1 international students are required to enroll in a full course of study each Fall and Spring semester. For graduate students, full-time is defined as 9 units.
If you are planning to take fewer units in a semester, you will have to file a Request for Reduced Course Load [pdf]. This is not uncommon for graduate students who have completed all coursework with the exception of their project or thesis.

The links below take you to several other documents that will be helpful in your progress towards your degree.