We value our partnerships with faculty and staff to support our students’ professional preparation and development of lifelong career success. We offer a variety of innovative career-preparation resources and services for use in course and club channels.
Connect with Us
Who We Are
We are a team of professional career counselors, employer engagement specialists, and workforce development leaders dedicated to student success. Our mission is to inspire, empower, and connect SJSU students, educators, and employers to build the workforce of the future. Our vision is that every Spartan emerges career ready [pdf] and equipped for lifelong career success.
What We Do:
- Career Coaching: We offer 1-1 career coaching through 15-minute drop-ins or 30-60- minute appointments at the Career Center or the various success centers. Visit our coaching page for date/times.
- Employer Connection Events: Internship and job fairs, employer and alumni career panels, meet-ups, industry/employer info sessions.
- Workshops & Career Panels: If you'd like to have one of our career counselors visit your class to discuss career-related topics or help coordinate a career panel, please complete this workshop request form (allow 48 hours for confirmation).
- Career Readiness Canvas Courses: Access career preparation courses that can support developed curriculum as assignments or class activities. See "Integrate into Curriculum" for more information.
- Collect and Share Career Outcomes Data: See where new graduates are employed, job titles and salary data. Work with your career center liaison [pdf] to share the survey broadly to new grads and recent alumni.
- Career Center Blog: Subscribe to our blog dedicated to providing campus partners updates on services, resources and trends in workforce and economic development.
Integrate Career Education into Curriculum
We know that instructional time is precious and that students' time is limited. We have developed various career readiness resources which are digital, concise and accessible 24/7 to meet both our faculty and students' needs. These resources can be used as is or integrated into course curriculum.
Overview of career readiness resources:
- Handouts for Educators: Career Center Apps & Career Guides
- Workshop Request Form
- Canvas Course Modules
Questions? Please contact Anita Manuel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect Your Students to Opportunities
Faculty partners play a vital role in connecting students to career resources and networking opportunities. Our employer engagement team is able to offer consultation on developing employer relationships for internship opportunities, cultivating employer requests for talent, and helping you or your contacts post positions on SJSU Handshake.
- Post your opportunities (student assistant/workstudy)
- Student's Guide to SJSU Handshake [pdf]
- Employer Policies & Labor Laws
- Request an SJSU Handshake Account: Please contact Donna Rizando at email@example.com
- Career Events: Program Calendar
- Career Center commercial (1-minute)
Support Student Retention & Self Efficacy through Mentoring
Help build mentoring opportunities for our students to develop social capital and workplace knowledge. SJSU's active networking and mentoring community, called SJSU² Mentoring & Meetups, is open to all SJSU students and alumni. We encourage you to join as a mentor and invite your alumni and industry contacts.
What is SJSU² Mentoring & Meetups?
SJSU² Mentoring & Meetups is an online mentoring platform, developed through partnership between SJSU's Career Center, Alumni Association, and campus community. The platform facilitates connections between mentees (current SJSU students and recent alumni) with mentors (alumni, industry professionals, and/or faculty/staff) to support mentee career success.
Mentors can sign up for a one-time conversation (informational interview) focused on career exploration questions through SJSU² Quick Connections or join industry-specific groups to share career tips, advice, and resources.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.