Employer Services and Expectations
To ensure service quality, acknowledge SJSU's student-development mission, protect student privacy, and limit risks to San José State University students, alumni, and other users of our services, the Career Center establishes expectations for all employers we serve.
The Career Center will provide services to employers whose opportunities meet the following basic criteria:
- Paid Positions - The rate of pay is at least California State minimum wage as calculated over any time scale, such as hourly, weekly, semi-monthly, monthly or annually, and is clearly publicized in the position description. Please see the following section on "Unpaid Internships" for further guidance on internships.
- Salary Levels - If no salary level is provided, the nature of compensation must be stated clearly in the job description.
- Commission Only - If compensation for the position will be commission only, this condition is clearly publicized in the position description. If no initial base salary is provided, the form of remuneration should be clearly stated in the employer’s job description and at the time of the initial interviews.
- The organization accurately describes the responsibilities and requirements of the opportunity in all publicity, including publicity for employer information sessions.
- All jobs and internships are posted at the discretion of the Career Center. We reserve the right to decline a posting if it does not appear to support the best interests of students and/or the University.
The Career Center does not provide services to employers if:
- Their opportunity involves on-campus solicitation, posting of materials, or sale of products and services.
- The organization is sponsoring an individual to establish his/her own business for the purpose of selling products or services, and/or recruiting other individuals to establish their own businesses.
- The organization is unable or unwilling to provide contact information in SJSU Handshake, including a verifiable name, address, phone number, email address, and website.
- The organization requires an initial payment or investment - with the organization itself serving as an umbrella or parent corporation. Investments of this type may include, but are not limited to: requirement to attend unpaid orientation or training sessions; direct payment of a fixed fee; payment to attend orientation or training sessions; and/or purchase, rent, or place deposit on a starter kit, sales kit, samples, or presentation supplies.
- The organization fails, for any reason, to provide essential information concerning the nature of the position or compensation, including, but not limited to: commission only, job responsibilities, salary, applicant requirements.
- The organization is unable or unwilling to provide written documentation of registration with a Better Business Bureau if so requested.
Please forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.