SJSU Employers LAEP Guide
Welcome Faculty and Staff Mentors! We are delighted that you are interested in the SJSU LAEP program. Let's get started!
STEP 1: LAEP Application
Please complete the LAEP Employer Interest Form to apply for the LAEP program. Please make sure the position you are posting will provide students with direct opportunities to participate in research. Note that research is not limited to scientific research and can take place outside of an academic discipline.
Please review CSAC LAEP page and the SJSU LAEP info session slide deck to get a general overview of the program.
STEP 2: Submit and Sign Agreement Forms
All faculty and staff mentors are required to sign a LAEP form prior to posting any positions on SJSU Handshake or hiring any students. In addition, you must complete the Student Participation Form (p3 of the document) for each student after you hire them. You will receive a notification from DocuSign requesting your signature for the LAEP form, and separate notification for the Student Participation Form. Please review this carefully.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST contact your respective College Director of Resources and Operations (DRO)/Department Resource or Finance Lead, and Supervising MPP prior to discussing arrangements for excess compensation beyond the allotted LAEP funding.
Below is the list of College DROs and Supervising MPPs:
|Business||Dora Ruiz||Dora Ruiz|
|Education||Sarah Arreola||Heather Lattimer|
|Engineering||Molly Crowe||Nicole Okamoto|
|Health & Human Sciences||Ramon Perez||Audrey Shillington|
|Humanities & the Arts||Debbie Mullin||Roula Svorou|
|Professional & Global Education||Scott Broberg||Namrata Shukla|
|Science||Niña Ria Agustin||Miri VanHoven|
|Social Sciences||Terri Ramirez||Laxmi Ramasubramanian|
|University Library||Wendy Dunn||Emily Chan|
STEP 3: Posting your Positions on Handshake
After you sign the LAEP form, you can now post your positions on SJSU Handshake. Please
make sure to follow the Handshake guidelines for LAEP job postings.
Your LAEP job description must include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Name/classification of position
- Name and address of employer
- Department or office where the eligible student will be employed
- Location where the eligible student will perform his or her duties
- Name of the eligible student's supervisor
- The term of the eligible student's anticipated employment, including beginning and ending dates
- Purpose or role of the position within the organization
- Duties and responsibilities associated with the position
- Rates of pay for the position
- General qualifications for the position and for various levels and rates of pay associated with the position
- Procedures to determine an eligible student's rate of pay
- Evaluation procedures and schedules, if applicable
IMPORTANT NOTE: SJSU LAEP positions must provide participating students with direct opportunities to participate in research that is undertaken by the respective research centers and institutions. Research is not limited to scientific research and can take place outside of an academic discipline. The research should be directed and supervised by faculty, staff, or another mentor who will determine the research requirements.
STEP 4: Recruiting and Hiring LAEP Students
After your positions are posted, and you start receiving applications, make sure you require student applicants to submit their "LAEP ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE." This document, issued by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (FASO), shows the amount of LAEP funds a student is eligible to receive. You will need the information in this document to complete the student participation form.
After identifying the final candidate or candidates, please send an email to the LAEP
coordinator, Dr. Bobbi Makani, (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the name of your final candidate(s), a copy of their LAEP eligibility certificate,
and your offer letter that includes agreed upon hourly wage, and the number of hours.
A Student Participation Form on DocuSign will be generated for you to complete. This
form must be completed for EACH student hire.
STEP 5: Payments
Students will be paid directly from Payroll.
- Students will enter all hours worked through PeopleSoft@Work.
- After entering hours, students must print a screenshot of their time and have this approved by their faculty/staff mentor.
- This approved screenshot must be sent to the LAEP coordinator, Dr. Bobbi Makani (email@example.com) before the end of the pay period so the time can be approved.
Faculty, mentors, and/or department analysts are expected to approve student hours before payment will be disbursed.