Student LAEP Guide
Welcome! We are delighted that you are interested in participating in the SJSU LAEP program. Let's get started!
STEP 1: Determine Your Eligibility
Review the following eligibility requirements, if you meet them, you’re ready for Step 2!
1) Are you an UNDERGRADUATE student meeting ANY ONE or MORE of these underrepresented student descriptors? If yes, you may qualify for LAEP funding:
- First-generation students
- Low-income students
- Current or former foster youth
- Homeless students or at risk of becoming homeless
- Students with disabilities
- Displaced workers
- Students with dependent children
- Formerly incarcerated students
- Undocumented students
- Meet the requirements of Assembly Bill 540 of the 2001–2002 Regular Session of the Legislature
2) In addition to meeting any one or more of the underrepresented criteria listed in #1, you MUST MEET ALL the following to qualify for LAEP funding:
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Have demonstrated maintenance of satisfactory academic progress
- Have demonstrated financial need via FAFSA or CADAA (CA Dream Application)
- Classified as a California resident
- Eligible to work in the United States
STEP 2: Eligible Students Apply
If you meet all the eligibility criteria listed in Step 1, and are interested in the program, please fill out and submit the Student LAEP Application Form.
If you’d like additional information before submitting application, please visit the CSAC LAEP page that provides a general overview of the program.
Specific program details for SJSU can be found by viewing the SJSU LAEP info session slide deck.
STEP 3: Receive Program Participation Approval
After you submit your application, you will receive an approval notification and certification from the FASO (Financial and Scholarship Office). This certification will list your LAEP award. Please make sure to save this document, as you will need it to apply to LAEP positions.
STEP 4: Look for LAEP Positions on Handshake
Once you receive your LAEP award notice, you may proceed to SJSU Handshake, look for, and apply to a LAEP position. All LAEP eligible positions should have the acronym "LAEP" in front of it. If the position does not have this tag, then it is NOT a LAEP eligible position.
STEP 5: Apply to LAEP Positions and Submit Forms
1) If you are applying for an external position (not in SJSU) you will follow the company's/organization's interview and hiring process. If you are hired for the position, you must complete a DocuSign LAEP Student Agreement prior to starting work. You will not be paid if you do not complete and sign this form.
2) If you are applying for an internal position (at SJSU) you will interview with the SJSU department and if selected for the position you must complete a DocuSign LAEP Student Agreement prior to starting work. You will not be paid if you do not complete and sign this form.
- To get paid, students will print/PDF a screenshot of their time and have this approved by their faculty/stafff mentor.
- Send this printout/screenshot of your hours to your faculty/staff mentor before the last day of the pay period for approval.