Virtual Job/Internship Fairs
The Career Center will create exciting opportunities for students and employers to connect like always. At the same time, we will ensure the health and safety of our students and employer community by hosting virtual and in-person events.
Employers will continue to connect with SJSU talent through our SJSU Handshake platform, where employers also post internships, part-time and full-time jobs, and projects/gigs for current students, recent graduates, and alumni. In addition, we are offering our Job & Internship Fairs both virtually and in person! If you are actively looking for internship or career opportunities, please review the following tips on how to best participate [pdf] in virtual job/internship fairs.
What is a virtual job/internship fair? And how do I attend?
Virtual fairs offer the chance to video chat with employers for about 10 minutes through the Handshake video conference system. After you find the fair(s) that you’d like to attend, be sure to register for the fair. Here’s how! Most fairs are targeted to a specific career pathway [pdf] or industry and specify qualifications to attend (mostly based on major and class level). In addition, employers may set criteria for registering for their individual sessions that might be based on major, GPA, or experience level.
To register for fairs and individual sessions:
- If you are still exploring career options, register for fairs to see which types of employers are hiring for your field of interest and review their job descriptions. If you meet their requirements, schedule an individual meeting with them, if not, apply to any positions that you qualify for on Handshake or via their website.
- If you are actively seeking internship and/or career opportunities, schedule individual meetings (10 minutes) with employers, apply for any of their posted positions, or schedule a group session (30 minutes with employer, group format).
1. Before you get started, be sure to adjust your settings!
To sign up for individual sessions, your profile privacy must be set to at least Employers. We recommend that you set your profile to Community (so that you can participate in group sessions) and make your resume Public (so that employers can see your resume before, during, and after the event). Not sure how to do this? Check out these instructions.
2. Get out your calendar and SAVE THE DATES!
The first step is to find and prepare for the fair that fits with your interests. Here’s a list of our upcoming virtual fairs. Employers are able to host two types of sessions to interact with students:
- Group Sessions: 30 minutes each, multiple students can attend
- Individual Sessions: 10 minutes each, one student and one employer representative can attend
3. Time to register! (Here’s how.)
As soon as the registration opens (stay tuned for dates and times), select your date/time for either 1:1 or group sessions. While we make every effort to provide equal access to the posted times and sessions, registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are limited numbers of appointments and sessions based on the employer’s availability. If you cannot make your appointment times, please cancel your session within 24 hours of start time. We will block accounts for those students who no-show or do not cancel their appointments within the 24-hour period.
4. What if all the sessions are full or I don’t meet attendance criteria?
We strongly encourage students to log in as soon as registration is open to ensure that they can secure an appointment/session before all slots fill. We also recommend that students check the registration page frequently for their fair of interest, as employers may add new sessions or students may cancel their appointments which will become open to a new student. In addition, there are many other ways to connect with employers and opportunities beyond the job fair. Check out these tips [pdf] for expanding your search.
5. Great, I’m ready! What’s next?
Check out this tips sheet on what to do before, during, and after the fair [pdf]! To get you even more prepared, watch this video of our Job & Internship Fair