Explore Your Options
This is the first step in the career development process and requires you to take some personal inventory:
- Who are you, what do you want to do, and what majors and career paths align with your interests?
- What skills do you want to develop? How do you assess what employers want?
- What majors are offered at SJSU? What skills and knowledge will you gain?
- How do you identify and explore career options?
While this can sound like a daunting process, it actually is not so overwhelming when you follow our career exploration plan. [pdf] In addition, here are some resources to help you get started:
- Review the Major and Career Exploration Guide. [pdf]
- Check out What Can I Do With This Major? to explore majors and career interest areas.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our professional career counselors who can walk you through the process.
Common Career Questions
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Many college students have stress and doubts when answering this question. Consider what factors are holding you back from making a decision. Do you find it difficult to decide on only one career path?
If so, you could be a multipotentialite or someone who has multiple career paths that are "right" for them. Watch this highly rated TED Talk by artist and writer Emilie Wapnick to find out more.
Learn from industry leaders:
These videos are offered through LinkedIn Learning. As a current student you have access to them by using your SJSUOne username and password after clicking on the links.