Major Application Process

Instructions for Applying to the CCS Major

High School Seniors and Current Community College Transfer students:

Note: Major is not impacted. 

  1. Go to the CSU online application,Cal State apply. Fill in the application and submit all necessary information. Students must be admitted to San José State according to the requirements of admission.
  2. While filling out the online application, be sure to select "Chicana and Chicano Studies" as your intended major.

Current SJSU students who want to add/change their major:

Note: No GPA minimum or course criteria to meet before applying.

  1. Complete the SJSU Change of Major/Minor Form. There are two versions of the form: one for students with fewer than 90 units and one for those with more than 90 units. Include all supporting documents required.
  2. Fill out the CCS Department Major Form [pdf]. Indicate which courses you have completed, are in the process of completing, or those you plan to complete in order to satisfy the 40 units. Be sure to include the semester and year you took the class, the final grade and the course units.
    If you are unsure of how to complete this section, please feel free to request an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor and bring your transcript(s) in order to fill in the appropriate information.
  3. Schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor, Dr. Maria L. Alaniz, to set up an appointment for review and signature of the Major Form. Please print an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) to bring with you to the meeting.
  4. If you are a graduating senior, check with your advisor to apply online.

Note: Since the CCS Major was approved in late Spring 2017, the courses are being rolled out over the next few semesters. Students should not become CCS Majors if you are planning to graduate before Spring 2020.