||Publication and Research
|Dr. Paul Cascella
- Cascella, P.W., Simpson, L.A., & Hagie, C. (2020). Case 13: Prioritizing communication
supports for an adolescent with intellectual disability. In R.C. Branski & S. Molfentor
(Eds.), Speech-Language Pathology Casebook. Thieme Publishing.
- Neave-DiToro, D., Vogel, D.A., Wortsman, S.E., & Cascella, P.W. (2018). Risk management practices at university clinics in communication sciences
and disorders. Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders, 2(2), 1-18.
- Cascella, P.W., Bruce, S.M., & Trief, E. (2015). Sign language, speech, and communication repair
abilities by children with congenital deafblindness. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 109(2), 141-146.
- Cascella, P.W., Bruce, S.M., & Trief, E. (2014). Communication profiles of two children with Pitt-Hopkins
syndrome. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 26, 473-378.
- Cascella, P.W., & Aliotta, F. (2014). Strategies to enhance the informed consent process for communication
disorders researchers. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 35(4), 258-251.
- Cascella, P.W., (2014). Tangible object symbols: A case study with an adult with multiple disabilities.
Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 108(3), 249-255.
- Trief, E., Cascella, P.W., & Bruce, S.M. (2013). A Field study of a universal tangible symbol system for learners
who are visually impaired and have multiple disabilities. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 107(3), 180-191.
- Cascella, P.W., Trief, E., & Bruce, S.M. (2012). Parent and teacher ratings of communication among
children with severe disabilities and visual impairment/blindness. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 33(4), 249-251.
- Bruce, S.M., Trief, E., & Cascella, P.W. (2011). Teachers’ and speech-language pathologists’ perceptions about tangible symbols
intervention: Efficacy, generalization, and recommendations. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 27(3), 172-182.
- Trief, E., Bruce, S.M., & Cascella, P.W. (2010). The Selection of tangible symbols by educators of students with multiple
disabilities and visual impairment. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 104(8), 499-504.
- Trief, E., Bruce, S.M., Cascella, P.W., & Ivy, S. (2009). The Development of a universal tangible symbol system. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 103(7), 425-430.
- Cascella, P.W., & Vogel, D.J. (2008). Student self-directed professional development as a formative
assessment skill. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education, 11(June), 4-8.
- D’Agostino, M.E., & Cascella, P.W. (2008). Communication supports by job caches of people with developmental disabilities.
Journal of Physical & Developmental Disabilities, 20, 551-560.
- McLaughlin, K., & Cascella, P.W. (2008). Eliciting a distal gesture via dynamic assessment among students with moderate
to severe intellectual disability. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 29(2), 75-81.
|Dr. Megan Cuellar
- Cuellar & Prodoehl. (submitted). Spatiotemporal dynamics of mu rhythm activity during orofacial palpation
in neurotypical adults.
- del Toro, C., & Cuellar, M. (2019). Action Observation Treatment for Verb Naming in Aphasia: Picture hvs. Video
Stimuli. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 100(10), e39.
- Cuellar, M., & Harvey, J. (2018). Predictive value of laryngeal adductor reflex testing in patients
with dysphagia due to a cerebral vascular accident. International Journal of Speech-Language
Pathology. doi:10.1080/17549507.2018. 15126522
- Cuellar, M. (2017). P316 Time-frequency analysis of the mu rhythm during the perception of swallowing
physiology. Clinical Neurophysiology, 128(9), e280.
- Cuellar M., del Toro C.M. (2017). Time frequency analysis of mu rhythm activity during picture
and video action naming tasks. Brain Sciences. 7(9), 114. doi:10.3390/brainsci7090114.
- Harvey, Wilson, Cuellar, M., & Anaya (2017). The effects of stimulus complexity and timing during dual task across
neurologically healthy older and younger adults: A pilot study. Communication Disorders,
Deaf Studies & Hearing Aids, 5(2).
- del Toro, C., Cuellar, M., Duke, G. (2016). Treatment of Residual Speech Impairments Five Years Post- Stroke:
A Case Study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 97(10), e84.
- Cuellar, M., Saltuklaroglu, T., Harkrider, A.W., Jenson, D., Thornton, D., Bowers, A. (2016).
Temporal dynamics of sensorimotor integration during the performance of swallowing:
Independent component analysis of EEG data. Clinical Neurophysiology, 127(7):2625-35.
- Jenson, J., Bowers, A., Harkider, AW., Thornton, D., Cuellar, M., Saltuklaroglu, T. (2014). Temporal dynamics of sensorimotor integration in speech
perception and production: Independent component analysis of EEG data. Frontiers in
- Bowers, A., Saltuklaroglu, T., Harkrider, A.W., Cuellar, M. (2013). Suppression of the μ rhythm during speech and non-speech discrimination revealed
by independent component analysis: implications for sensorimotor integration in speech
processing. PLOS One, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072024.
- Cuellar, M., Bowers, A., Harkrider, A.W., Wilson, M., Saltuklaroglu, T. (2012). Mu suppression
as an index of sensorimotor contributions to speech processing: evidence from continuous
EEG signals. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 85, 242-248.
|Dr. Lyle Lustigman
- Lustigman, L. (2020). The emergence and development of complex predicates in early child Hebrew.
First Language. DOI: 10.1177/0142723719899240.
- Berman, R. A. & Lustigman, L. (2020). Acquisition and development of verb/predicate chaining in Hebrew. Frontiers
in Psychology. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02958.
- Lustigman, L. & Clark, E.V. (2019). Exposure and feedback in language acquisition: adult construals
of children’s early verb-form use in Hebrew. Journal of Child Language, 46: 241–264.
- Savaldi-Harrusi, G., Lustigman, L. & Soto, G. (2019). Emergence of clause constructions in children who use speech generating
devices. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 35: 109-119.
- Lustigman, L. (2016). From opacity to transparency: Transitional categories in early Hebrew grammar.
In Ruth A. Berman (ed.), Acquisition and development of Hebrew: From infancy to adolescence
(Trends in Language Acquisition Research [TILAR]). (pp. 225–258). John Benjamins Publishing
- Lustigman, L. (2016). Interfaces between linguistic systems: Evidence from child language. Linguistics,
Lustigman L. & Berman, R. A. (2016). Form and function in early clause-combining.
Journal of Child Language, 43: 157-185.
- Lustigman, L. (2016). What do children use complements for? Representing speaker perspectives in
recounting conversations. Proceedings of The 42nd Annual Meeting of The Berkeley Linguistic
- Lustigman, L. (2015). Optional opacity: A syntactically-based analysis of early Hebrew verb morphology.
First Language, 35: 466-488.
- Berman, R. A., & Lustigman, L. (2014). Emergent clause-combining in adult-child interactional contexts. In I. Arnon,
M. Casillas C. Kurumada, & B. Estigarribia (Eds.), Language in interaction (Trends
in Language Acquisition series [TILAR]). (pp. 281-300) Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Lustigman, L. (2013). Developing structural specification: Productivity in early Hebrew verb usage.
First Language, 33: 47–67.
- Lustigman, L. (2012). Non-finiteness in early Hebrew verbs. Brill’s Annual of Afroasiatic Languages
and Linguistics (BAALL), 4: 213-231.
- Berman, R. A., & Lustigman, L. (2012). HARSP: A developmental language profile for Hebrew. In M. J. Ball, D. Crystal,
& P. Fletcher (Eds.), Assessing grammar: The languages of LARSP [Communication disorders
across languages series] (pp. 43-76). Bristol, UK: Bristol Language series.
- Berman, R. A., Lustigman, L., and Nir-Sagiv, B. (2008). Discourse analysis as a window to later language development.
Israel Studies in Language and Society, 1: 10-47. [in Hebrew]
|Dr. June Antablin McCullough
- CSHA (2007) Guidelines for Assessment and Treatment of (Central) Auditory Processing
Disorders. Hamaguchi, McCullough, Novak, and Swain, Task Force Members.
- McCullough, JA, Mormer, E. (2002). Matching Hearing Technology to the Needs, Goals, and Preferences
of Individual Listeners. Contemp Issues in CS&D, 29, 101-110.
- McCullough, JA, Wilson RH (2001). Performance on a Spanish Picture-Identification Task using a Multimedia
Format. J Amer Acad Audiol, 12, 254-260.
- Hamaguchi, P. & McCullough, JA (2000). San Jose Unified School District: CAPD Referral, Identification, and Treatment
Guidelines. Monograph, SJUSD, San Jose, CA.
- Aleksandrovsky, IV, McCullough, JK, Wilson, RH (1998). Development of Suprathreshold Word-Recognition Test for Russian‑Speaking
Patients. J Amer Acad Audiol, 9, 417‑425
|Dr. Nidhi Mahendra
Mahendra, N., Tadokoro, A. (2020, in press). Nonfluent primary progressive aphasia: Implications
of palliative care principles for informing service delivery. Topics in Language Disorders,40, 1-18.
Mahendra, N. (2019). Integrating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues into the
multicultural curriculum in speech-language pathology: Instructional strategies and
learner perceptions. Perspectives on Cultural and Linguistic Diversity, 4(2), 384-394.
- Bell, C.B., Lopez, R. P., Mahendra, N., Tamai, A., Davis, J., Amella, E., Masaki, K. (2016). Person-centered feeding care:
A reassessment protocol to re-introduce oral feeding for nursing home residents on
tube feeding. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging, 20, 1-7.
- Mahendra, N., Hickey E., Bourgeois, M. (2018). Cognitive-communicative characteristics: Profiling
types of dementia (Chapter 3). In E. Hickey & M. Bourgeois (Eds.). Dementia: from diagnosis to management-a functional approach (3rd Edition, pp. 42 - 80). NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Mahendra, N. (2020). Dementia: Concepts and contemporary practice. In M. Kimbarow (Ed). Cognitive-Communication
Disorders (3rd Edition). San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Mahendra, N., Hopper, T. (2021, forthcoming). Dementia and related cognitive disorders. In I. Papathanasiou,
& P. Coppens (Eds). Aphasia and Related Neurogenic Communication Disorders (3rd Edition). Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
|Dr. Jean Novak
- Mendez, K., Levy, K., Nelms, M., Hoff, D., Novak, J., & Levy, M. (2011). Cross cultural variation in the Neurodevelopmental Assessment
of Children – The cultural and neurological to 2nd language acquisition in children with autism (Chapter 8). A comprehensive book on
autism spectrum disorders. InTech Open Europe, Croatia, 147-166.
- In press: Novak, J. Building Awareness of Diversity in the Treatment of Autism.
- In press: Novak, J. Sports in the US for Individuals with Disabilities: A Therapeutic Perspective.
- In progress: Novak, J., Chu, H, Cascella, P. Efficacy of Music Therapy on Communication Skills Development:
A Restrospective Parent Study.
|Dr. Wendy Quach
- McKelvey, M.L., Weissling, K., Lund, S.K., Quach, W., Dietz, A. (submitted). Assessment of adults with acquired communication disorders
who need augmentative and alternative communication:
Clinical decisions of AAC specialists. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Ames, A., Archer, B, Inkster, M., Quach, W., Pollock, K. (submitted). Outcomes of an immersive augmentative and alternative communication
(AAC) camp experience for pre-professional student counsellors: A pilot. Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Speech-Language and Audiology
- Quach, W. & Tsai, P.T. 2017). Preparing future SLPs for the clinical world of cultural-linguistic
diversity. Perspect ASHA SIGs, 2(SIG 14), 82–102. doi: 10.1044/persp2.SIG14.82
- Lund, S. K., Quach, W., Wiessling, K., McKelvey, M., & Dietz, A. (2017). Assessment with children who need
augmentative and alternative communication (AAC): Clinical decisions of AAC specialists.
Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. Advanced online publication. doi:10.1044/2016_LSHSS-15-0086
- Jabagchourian, J., Sorkhabi, N., Quach, W., Strage, A. (2014). Parenting styles and practices of Latino parents and Latino fifth
graders' academic, cognitive, social, and behavioral outcomes. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 36, 175-194 doi: 10.1177/0739986314523289.
- Dietz, A., Quach, W., Lund, S., & McKelvey, M. (2012) AAC assessment and clinical decision making: The
impact of experience. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 28, 148-159.
- Binger, C., Ball, L., Dietz, A., Kent-Walsh, J., Lasker, J., Lund, S., McKelvey, M.,
& Quach, W. (2012). Personnel roles in the AAC assessment process. Augmentative & Alternative Communication. 28, 278 – 288.
- Kimbarow, M.L., Quach, W., & Meyerson, M. (2010). The universality of facial expression and recognition in
normal and disordered communication: A review of the literature. Asia Pacific Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing, 13, 1 – 12.
Quach, W. & Roman, A. (2014). Mary: Implementation of AAC systems in a person with spinal (limb)
onset ALS. In J. McCarthy & A. Dietz (Eds.). Augmentative and Alternative Communication: An interactive clinical casebook, a multimedia
product. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing, Inc.
|Dr. Pei-Tzu Tsai
- Quach, W. & Tsai, P.T. (2017). Preparing future SLPs for the clinical world of cultural-linguistic diversity. Perspect ASHA SIGs, 2(SIG 14), 82–102. doi: 10.1044/persp2.SIG14.82
- Tsai, P.-T., & Bernstein Ratner, N. (2016). Involvement of central cognitive mechanism in word
production in adults who stutter. Journal of Speech, Language, & Hearing Research, 59, 1269-1282.
- Langdon, H., Tsai, P.-T., & Węsierska, K. (2015). Evidence-based practice in stuttering: Views from American and Polish clinical
perspectives. Forum Logopedyczne, 23, 8-16.
- Tsai, P.-T. (2015). [Review of the book Stuttering: foundations and clinical applications (2nd ed.) by Ehud Yairi and Carol Seery (Eds.)]. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 46, 58-60.
- Tsai, P.-T., Lim, V. P. C., Brundage, S., & Bernstein Ratner, N. (2011). Linguistic analysis
and stuttering in bilingual speakers: Methodological challenges and solutions. In
P. Howell & J. Van Borsel (Eds). Multilingual aspects of fluency disorders. New York, NY: Psychology Press, Taylor and Francis Group.