Frequently Asked Questions

Listed in no particular order are many of the questions that faculty and office staff are often asked by students.

The ChAD office is closed due to COVID-19. How can I contact the ChAD office?

The ChAD office has virtual office hours on Tuesdays and Thursday from 11am-12noon. You can join virtual office via Zoom from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: There will be a waiting room when you join the office hours, therefore you may need to wait a few minutes before connecting us. If you cannot make office hours, please email the ChAD office at

How often should I see a ChAD advisor?

Students who are majoring in ChAD should meet with an advisor as soon as possible after entering SJSU or at the latest, during their first semester as a junior at SJSU. Additionally, after completing 85 units, students should meet with an advisor to apply for graduation. Whenever students feel the need for additional advising, they should feel free to make an appointment with the ChAD advisor.

What is a passing grade?

In ChAD, we encourage students to study carefully and learn the material. Occasionally students do not do well. For courses in our department, we accept grades as low as D- as passing. The one exception is that you must pass with a C or better in ChAD 100W. In regards to GPA, students must have a SJSU Studies, ChAD and overall GPA of 2.0. Students can check their progress report to review their GPA. 

What are faculty office hours?

Faculty office hours are dedicated times for students to have one-on-one discussions with their professors about course-related content or topics related to child and adolescent development. We strongly urge you to take advantage of this resource. For example, if you are having trouble with an class assignment, go talk with the instructor to get advice and assistance. If you did not do well on a graded assignment, talk with your instructor about how you could improve your performance in the class. Sometimes faculty are working on research projects and if you can ask them if there are opportunities for you to be involved with theeir projects. ChAD faculty can also answer questions about the various careers and educational pathways (e.g., graduate school) you can take after graduating from SJSU.

What if I am having a problem with one of my instructors?

Sometimes instructors and students disagree on assignments or grades.  There can also be issues about the lecture/discussions, inter-personal contacts, etc.  Difficulties can occur in ChAD or in any other department on campus.  If you disagree with an instructor’s decision or conduct, here are some options:

  1. The first thing you should consider doing is immediately to make an appointment to talk privately with your teacher. Try to resolve the problem by being candid and clear about what the issues are.
  1. If you are not comfortable talking with your instructor or after you have spoken with your instructor, you still feel that the issue is not resolved, make an appointment to discuss the situation with the department chair.  For ChAD go to SH 201 and make an appointment with the department chair.
  1. After you have met with the chair OR if you have concerns that make you feel that you cannot discuss the problem with the department chair, continue the discussion in one of two ways:
  2. a) Make an appointment to talk with the associate dean of the college in which the department is located (for ChAD this would be the College of Education, SH 103);


b) Make an appointment with the University Ombudsperson. For information, go to:             

Alternatively, you can take your complaints/concerns directly to the University Ombudsperson at any time.


I need to see an advisor immediately but all the appointments in the near future are taken. What should I do?

Occasionally, and only with a compelling reason, students can make appointments for advisement by speaking with the department administrative assistant in SH 201.  Go to the office and discuss your needs with our administrative assistant.

How do I know whether a course at some other college substitutes for one at SJSU?

The University maintains a highly informative student information website that will show what equivalent courses are offered at community colleges, CSU campuses, and some other colleges and universities.

What is the difference between Plan A and Plan B?

This is an important question. Take some time to read this page.

How can I apply for graduation?

Once you have completed 85 units, you can apply for graduation. Make an appointment with the ChAD Advisor. More information regarding graduation application deadlines and procedures can be found on the SJSU Office of the Registrar page.

I am graduating this semester. How can I particiapte in commencement?

Congratulations! Please visit the SJSU Commencement page for information.