Frequently Asked Questions

How can I make an appointment to see an advisor?

Appointments can be made online or over the phone. Please call us at (408) 924-2910 from 9am to 1pm, and (408) 924-8601 from 1pm to 5pm and our front desk staff will be happy to assist you.

Is the CHHS SSC open?

We are still open and providing services during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our physical locations are closed until further notice but we will be working online to continue to assist you.

What can an advisor at the center help me with?

Our advisors can help with questions related to GE advising, changing or declaring your major, course selection, mapping out a 2 or 4 year plan, applying for graduation, graduate school advising, study skills, and tips for time management.

Should I make an appointment to see my major advisor or a GE advisor at the Center?

If you have questions related to GE advising/courses, an advisor at the center can assist you. If you have specific questions related to your major, it may be best to speak with a major advisor.


Can an advisor at the center help me with the graduation application?

Yes, our advisors can walk you through the process of applying for graduation. You may make an appointment by following the instructions in the first question.

Does the center offer tutoring?

Yes, we offer free online peer tutoring for Statistics 95, HS 67, Chemistry 30A, Biology 65, and Biology 66.

Can I print or use the copier at the center?

Our physical locations are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Printing and copier use is for faculty and staff only. Students may print or copy at the Computer Services Center in the Student Union (Upper Level) or at the Martin Luther King Library.

Can I eat in the center?

Yes, food and closed-lid drinks are allowed in our MQH 533 location, but not at our Health Building 105 location. Please finish any open-lid drinks before entering the center. We also have a refrigerator, water dispenser, and microwave that students can use.


Can I reserve a room in the center?

Normally yes, but all physical locations are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All reservation requests should go through the Dean's Office. Please note that there may be limited room availability during certain times of the day or week.