Change of Major

Newly Admitted Students

Unfortunately, newly admitted students cannot change their major prior to or during orientation, and must first earn an SJSU GPA during their first semester before being considered for the change of major request. Students will also need to attend orientation with the college housing their admitted major. At orientation, however, students with an interest in changing their major will have an opportunity to let their orientation advisors know this information. This information will be taken into consideration when advising students for their first semester.

Make an Appointment

Navigating the major change process can be confusing and you may have questions about what is required to change into a specific CHHS major. If you are looking to change your major, make an appointment with one of our advisors so we can help you determine what you need to do to get into your desired major. Make an appointment online, call us, or email us at:

Change of Major Form

The change of major process for each CHHS major varies depending on department requirements as well as impaction. However, every major requires that you fill out a "Change of Major Form". There are two forms, and the form you use depends on how many units you have. Please come to an appointment with one of our advisors with the form filled out!

Impaction and Change of Major Process by College 

Here is where you can find information on current impaction criteria for incoming Freshman and for incoming Transfer students.