BS Materials Engineering ABET Student Outcomes
Attributes of a SJSU Materials Engineering BS student by the time of graduation
1. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
1.1 Utilize the structure-properties relationship to predict the properties of a material.
1.2 Select the materials and properties appropriate for a specific application.
1.3 Assess needs, formulate problem statement, structure and evaluate solutions in solving real-world materials engineering problems.
1.4 Apply thermodynamics and kinetics in the process design of materials system in order to produce desired structure and properties.
2. An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
2.1 Select and evaluate appropriate materials and processing methods based on desired performance.
3. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
3.1 Communicate effectively through formal and informal written and oral means.
4. An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
4.1 Utilize modern tools and techniques to alter, characterize, and measure materials properties and to design processes according to accepted standards.
4.2 Demonstrates advanced proficiency in pertinent software.
4.3 Formulate and address ethical issues which arise in solving engineering problems and in the workplace.
5. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
5.1 Contribute unique expertise to a multifaceted team
6. An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
6.1 Select appropriate materials characterization tools, utilize the tool safely, and interpret experimental results.
6.2 Optimize materials engineering products and processes to positively impact global and societal issues.
6.3 Demonstrate use of materials engineering in emerging applications.
6.4 Design and analyze appropriate experiments to measure or optimize specific engineering properties, incorporating statistical procedures.
7. An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
7.1 Recognize that materials engineering is diverse and continuously evolving and that finding solutions may involve exploring new knowledge.
7.2 Uncover, critically evaluate, and synthesize knowledge from multiple sources.