Eligibility to Participate
You are eligible to participate in the Spring 2020 Commencement if you have applied for your degree and meet one of the following criteria:
- Expected to graduate in Summer 2020
- Degree candidates who have applied to graduate in Spring 2020
*Fall 2020 MS Occupational Therapy graduates will participate at the Spring 2020 commencement. Master's graduates in MLIS and MS Data Analytics under the College of Professional and Global Education will be recognized at the Spring 2020 ceremony.
Graduating students will be given access to six (6) guest tickets for their commencement ceremony. You must complete the Intent to Participate form in order to receive access to the guest tickets. Guest tickets will be release at the end of March.
Make Sure to Get Geared Up!
All graduates participating in Commencement must wear academic regalia.
Graduates who need special accommodations may contact the Commencement Office with the name, phone number, email address and required accommodations two weeks prior to the commencement ceremony. Please specify if the accommodation is for you as a graduate or one of your guests.
We understand that you want to start celebrating with loved ones as soon as possible, and you may be tempted to leave the ceremony early, but leaving prior to the end of the event diminishes the experience for your fellow students and their families who have come to cheer them on.
Graduates are expected to return to their seats after the on-stage presentation and remain seated for the duration of the ceremony so that each of your fellow graduates receives the same recognition.
Appropriate regalia is required to participate at Commencement and is available through the Spartan Bookstore and online. Access regalia and announcements online.
Commencement is a significant and celebratory event, the culmination of years of study and accomplishment.
Those participating in the ceremony are expected to adhere to the following:
- Out of respect for everyone, all students are expected to remain quietly seated until the President confers degrees at the end of the ceremony and the President's party and University faculty have recessed.
- Students, faculty, and administration may not bring babies or young children to participate in the ceremony with them.
- Students may not take selfies or use selfie sticks while crossing the stage.
- After removing hats for and standing through the playing of the National Anthem, degree candidates are expected to remain in their seats throughout the entire ceremony, except when approaching the stage to receive their diploma cover.
All attendees are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Alcohol is not to be brought and/or consumed on campus.
- Smoking is not allowed on campus.
- Due to fire code regulations, guests may not block aisles to take photographs, strollers must be parked in designated areas.
- Balloons, noise makers, beach balls, etc., are not permitted.
- Only authorized photographers and Commencement staff are permitted on and behind the stage area during the ceremony.
- Avoid unnecessary conversation and movement during the exercises.
- Individuals who engage in inappropriate or disruptive behavior may be removed from the event.
Degree candidate seating will be determined based on the number of applicants from the various colleges and departments. As you enter Provident Credit Union Event Center, ushers will direct you to seating organized by your degree and major. Empty spaces are not allowed, and once in a row, you may not move to another seat.
Spartan First Destination Survey
All set? Don't forget to support SJSU's fourth annual, campus-wide, career outcomes survey for recent graduates.
- All colleges, except the Lucas College and Graduate School of Business:
- Lucas College and Graduate School of Business:
See where fellow graduates are landing and help SJSU enhance career services for future Spartans by sharing your post-graduation plans in this brief survey.
Respondents are entered in a raffle to win a lifetime Alumni Association membership and one of several $50 gift cards to be awarded throughout the year.
Individual survey responses are kept anonymous.