Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) School Counseling Credential
A master's degree in Counseling or a closely related field is required to obtain a clear PPS K-12 School Counseling Credential. See the MA + PPS School Counseling Credential Advising Worksheet [pdf] for the combined Master's degree and PPS School Counseling Credential requirements. Also, see the MA + PPS School Counseling Credential + CWA Authorization Advising Worksheet [pdf] for the combined Master's degree, PPS Credential, and CWA Authorization requirements.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
As a result of completing this program, students will:
1. Design culturally sustaining prevention and intervention counseling programs within educational environments
2. Model ethical and inclusive leadership skills that promote equity, social justice, and student success
3. Apply effective and inclusive assessment practices within their work with school and community stakeholders
4. Create social, cultural, and educational interventions that support students’ academic advancement
5. Select and apply relevant research methods to conduct program evaluations, supported by effective technological applications
Completing the Requirements for the PPS School Counseling Credential
- Attend a Counselor Education Department New Student Orientation.
- Register in the program’s foundational courses via the one.SJSU portal.
- Add courses during the first week of classes if you miss your enrollment appointment.
Complete the Foundational Coursework / Requirements
- Check out the Department Advising web page or contact the Department Office for your faculty advisor's contact information and schedule an advising appointment if necessary.
- Take the CBEST exam or complete the Basic Skills Requirement Verification form [pdf] and provide documentation to the Graduate Fieldwork Coordinator prior to starting your fieldwork.
- Complete the seven School Counseling Specialization Foundational Core Requirements - EDCO 215, 218, 227, 232, 248, 266, & 282 - before taking Advanced Professional Development coursework.
- Apply for clearance before beginning fieldwork.
Complete the Advanced Coursework/Requirements
- Complete the eight Advanced Professional Development courses (24 units) plus nine units/600 hours (3 units = 200 hours) of Supervised Experience in Counseling. A minimum of 400 hours have to be completed in public K-12 schools with a minimum of 200 hours at each of two K-12 school levels. These hours are typically completed across three semesters.
- Pass the CBEST or complete the Basic Skills Requirement Verification form [pdf]. You will not be able to apply for your clear PPS Credential until you pass all sections of the CBEST or complete the Basic Skills Requirement Verification form.
Complete Your Program Exit Review
- Make an appointment with your department advisor to review the completion of your PPS Credential (and CWA Authorization, if applicable) program requirements using the PPS Credential Approved Program Contract form [pdf].
- Upon completion of the program requirements, have your advisor sign your PPS Credential Approved Program Contract form.
- After your advisor approves and signs your PPS Credential Approved Program Contract form, the Department Chair will review and sign your completed Approved Program Contract form as the Program Director.
- Use the signed PPS Credential Approved Program Contract form to apply for your clear PPS School Counseling Credential (and CWA Authorization, if applicable).
Apply for Your Clear PPS K-12 School Counseling Credential
- Order official transcripts that include the conferral of your Master’s degree. Visit the SJSU Transcript Request web page for more information.
- Complete the Clear PPS School Counseling Credential Checklist [pdf] and application package.
- Contact the SJSU Lurie College of Education's Credentials office if you need additional assistance with completing the clear PPS School Counseling Credential process.