Assembly Bill 386
This bill focuses on public postsecondary education, cross-campus enrollment, and online education at the California State University.
What is AB 386 Assembly Bill about?
AB 386 authorizes any student enrolled at a CSU campus who meets specified requirements to enroll, without formal admission, and without payment of additional tuition or fees, except as provided, in a course provided entirely online, as defined, by another CSU campus on a space-available basis.
What are the requirements to participate in this program?
A student is qualified to participate in the program established by this chapter if he or she is enrolled at a CSU campus and meets the following requirements:
- The student has attained a grade point average of 2.0 on a 4-point scale for work completed.
- The student has paid appropriate tuition or fees, or both, required by the home campus for full-time enrollment for the academic term in which the student seeks to cross-enroll.
- The student has no outstanding tuition or fees to be paid at the home campus.
What should be my GPA to qualify for this program?
The student should have attained a grade point average of 2.0 on a 4-point scale for work completed.
Who can enroll in these online courses?
Each CSU campus shall inform students who may enroll in an online course pursuant to this chapter of all of the following:
- The technical requirements a student must satisfy in order to successfully participate in, and complete, the online course.
- Any prerequisite courses or other academic preparation deemed necessary for the online course.
- Any materials, skills, knowledge, or other elements necessary to ensure a student’s opportunity to succeed in the online course.
How many CSU Campuses are coordinating in this program?
The 23 campuses of the CSU system coordinate their online course offerings in order to provide students improved access to coursework and the opportunity to accelerate their degree completion.
Would there be any extra charges for participating in this program?
The host campus may charge participating students a reasonable administration fee and specific course-based fees, not to exceed an amount sufficient for the campus to recover reasonable administrative costs it incurs pursuant to this chapter.
I am from a different CSU Campus, can I transfer my existing credits?
An easily accessible online database of online courses is available at all CSU campuses. This database shall provide CSU students with a streamlined process within the CSU system to allow students to find and enroll in courses that will earn them credit toward graduation, general education, and major requirements.