Impact San Jose Fellowship
Do you want to make an impact as a transformative educator? Are you committed to making a difference for students, families, and communities in the greater San Jose region? Earn a teaching credential with us while receiving up to $7500 in scholarship funding, mentorship and networking opportunities, and more. Learn more about Eden Conghuyen, science education and single subject credential program student, as she discusses her experiences in the fellowship program in the video above.
Impact San Jose Fellowship Overview
This fellowship program at the SJSU Lurie College of Education supports and develops educators who are driven by their passions for social justice, educational equity, and postively impacting their communities. Fellows will be selected on a rolling basis, so it's to your advantage to apply earlier, and each cohort of fellows will gain access to a plethora of benefits beginning in the fall semester after their admission and beyond. Initial benefits include:
- Up to $7500 in scholarship funding | Your scholarship will be distributed over the duration of your program.
- Priority for teacher residency placements | If you also apply for our teacher residency program, which provides additional opportunities for funding to subsidize your cost of attendance, your application for that program will be given special consideration. At this time, Ethnic Studies pilot and CTC funded candidates are not eligible to apply.
- Regular and ongoing mentorship | Having someone in your corner who can provide guidance, coaching, and advocacy is vital to your development, and we'll match our fellows up with recent alumni and current faculty to ensure that development is taking place during and beyond the program.
- Membership in a professional learning community | We'll organize a range of community building and professional development events for you to get connected to the other fellows in your cohort, fellows outside of your cohort, and experts in your field.
Impact San Jose Fellowship Commitment
As a fellow, our expectation is that you will exhibit leadership throughout and beyond the program in at least a few capacities:
- Recruitment | We'll want you to share your story and experiences in classrooms, on panels, and more during the program to actively recruit future cohorts of diverse, committed fellows.
- Mentorship | After receiving mentorship as a fellow, it will be vital for you to provide guidance, coaching, and advocacy to future cohorts of fellows.
- Teaching | Most importantly, this program is intended to develop transformative educators. We expect that fellows will commit to teaching in a Title I school - a school that receives supplemental federal funds to assist with the high student concentrations of poverty - in the region - San Jose, Gilroy, Hollister, etc. - for at least 5 years.
- Apply for one of our credential programs via Cal State Apply:
- Complete the form below so our outreach team is aware of your interest in being considered for the Impact San Jose Fellows program after your application to the credential program has been reviewed. Our interest form will reopen in Spring 2021 for the 2021-2022 academic year.
If you need additional support or advising with your application, please contact our SJSU Lurie College of Education Student Success Center in Sweeney Hall 106 at 408-924-2700 or firstname.lastname@example.org and our outreach team will happily assist you!