Emancipatory Education Speaker Series
What should education look like post-COVID? How do we get there?
Many are looking forward to a time when we can go back to “normal” in education; however, that "normal" wasn't working for too many of our children, youth, families and communities. Join us for a series of live, online conversations with nationally recognized speakers and emerging voices who will share their visions for post-COVID education through an emancipatory lens and to identify steps to enact their visions.
This speaker series was sponsored by the SJSU Connie L. Lurie College of Education and Division of Student Affairs.
Friday, February 26, 2021
"But All Lives DO Matter: Being Intentional & Deliberate About an Antiracist Stance" with Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings
- 7:21 - Introduction of Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings by Dr. Saili Kulkarni
- 12:27 - Remarks from Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings
- 39:05 - Q&A with Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings
"Schools Were Never Normal / Learning Happens Everywhere: From Return & Recuperation to Reckoning & Reimagination in Education" with Dr. Jonathan Rosa
- 55:11 - Introduction of Dr. Jonathan Rosa by Jorge Pacheco Jr.
- 57:00 - Remarks from Dr. Jonathan Rosa
- 1:26:00 - Q&A with Dr. Jonathan Rosa
Friday, March 5, 2021
"Reversing the practices of providing the least educational support to those who need it most" with Sec. John King
- 8:42 - Introduction of Sec. John King by Dr. Jennifer Husbands
- 10:50 - Remarks from Sec. John King
- 28:44 - Q&A with Sec. John King
"Towards Epistemic Justice: Unlearning, Relearning, and Refusal in the Academy" with Dr. Leslie Gonzales
- 50:40 - Introduction of Dr. Leslie Gonzales by Dr. María Ledesma
- 52:01 - Remarks from Dr. Leslie Gonzales
- 1:19:00 - Q&A with Dr. Leslie Gonzales
Friday, March 12, 2021
Latinas Leading Schools panel with Dr. Fabiola Bagula, Dr. Rebeca Burcaiga, Dr. Melissa Martinez, Dr. Sylvia Mendez-Morse, and Ana Tavares
- 4:01 - Introduction of Latinas Leading Schools panelists
- 6:46 - Latinas Leading Schools panel discussion
- 30:48 - Q&A with Latinas Leading Schools panel